Veidec Racing
It has to be 100% for Veidec Racing and Lyrén Motorsport

It started with a request for product support for the team he wanted to start with his son. Under the banner of Veidec Racing it's now a professional three-bike Pro Stock outfit. "To do it within six months was a big operation but we want to do everything 100%. Every father dreams about doing something with his kids. This gives you so much energy," says Roger Lyrén who, together with his 22-year old son, Kalle, owns Lyrén Motorsport, the driving force behind Veidec Racing.

"I've known the owner and staff of Veidec for so many years now. With Veidec as main sponsor we ran a very successful Pro Stock Bike team with Roger Pettersson. The cooperation with Veidec was always very good and they were very happy with the way we ran the team. I've always kept in touch with the people at Veidec. Last year I contacted them to see if they could give product support to the team I wanted to start with my son Kalle. They called me back and asked me if I wanted to run a new Veidec team. We started in November last year and by the time we had the first UEM European Championship race, Veidec Racing was a three-bike, professional Pro Stock operation," says Roger, who has a three-year deal with Veidec.

To run their racing operation, Roger and Kalle founded Lyrén Motorsport. The idea was to start with one Pro Stock Bike for Kalle, plus a small bus and a caravan. But now Lyrén Motorsport/Veidec Racing has a big bus and three bikes. "A few months after the formation of our team, Kenneth Vik and Stavros Svrachnos joined us. We started working on the bus in January and it took many hours to get it finished in time. In the meantime we had to build bikes for our own team and for a Finnish customer."

To prove this was really what Kalle wanted, he had to build his own bike from a frame to a race-ready Pro Stocker. Lyrén Motorsport uses Vance & Hines products but also many of its own components. "Both Kalle and I work for MotoSpeed. We could use their equipment and workshop, so that was a great help. It was an incredible job to do all this in six months but we did it. We want to do everything in a proper way and 100%. That's how I always did it and that's the only way I want to do it now and in the future. We run our own team now and have to do everything ourselves. That generates so much energy. You are responsible for everything. All the team mechanics are people I've worked with in the past or friends. It's so important to have the right people around in a team."

Kalle is Roger's 22-year-old son and the youngest-ever Pro Stock Bike rider in the European Championship. He finished runner-up in the 2009 Scandinavian Super Gas Bike Series. As the only drag racer, Kalle was chosen in the Swedish Top & Talent program for young motorcycle racers. This program includes physical and mental training. In preparation for his first Pro Stock Bike season, Kalle went to the United States to visit the Frank Hawley Drag Racing School. "Pro Stock Bike is a huge step. The clutch, steering everything is completely different from what I have ever done before. You really need many, many runs to go fast. My goal for the first race was to qualify and run a seven. Then I wanted to run 0.1 second quicker every race. We did that and, at Alastaro, I ran a personal best of 7.28 seconds. So that feels good."

Stavros fighting face

And the goals for this season? "All riders have the same attitude, they don't want to lose. First goal is that they qualify for all rounds in the championship. Kenneth and Stavros have a chance to end up high in the championship. Kalle must gain experience, qualify and make as many runs as possible. We want to prove it's not necessary to have a Buell to win races. Pro Stock Bike doesn't have to be so expensive. You can use chassis for many years."

Kenneth Vik is happy he joined Veidec Racing. The 35-year-old Norwegian started Pro Stock Bike racing in 2001 with a bike he bought from Oivind von Essen. "In 2006 I bought Rautio's bike from Finland. We struggled with our own team. We had to do everything ourselves. Then Roger asked us to join his team. I feel very comfortable in the team. I can concentrate on the driving and get advice. We share information and that's better for all three riders. Business-wise it's also good. We can share the costs and I can bring my own sponsors into the team." Vik showed at Alastaro how this really pays off. The Norwegian was the number one qualifier – and for one day the proud owner of the European speed record –advanced to the final and ran a personal best of 7.173 seconds.

Stavros Svrachnos and Roger have known each other for many years so it was no surprise when the 41-year-old, three-time Greek champion and Greek record holder (time and speed) joined Veidec Racing. "I met Roger at Hockenheim in 1999. I bought parts from him and opened a bike and tuning shop in Thessaloniki, the second-biggest city in Greece. We still have a strong relationship with MotoSpeed." In 2004 Stavros bought Roger Pettersson's bike and raced it several times in the European Championship. "From Greece it's 3,500 km to Sweden so it's very difficult for us to do the full European tour with our own team. It also takes too much time to do it on your own. So the invitation to join Veidec Racing was a perfect opportunity for me. All the facilities are excellent; I have one Greek mechanic with me and I only have to concentrate on riding."

Veidec is very happy with the way Lyrén Motorsport represents the Swedish-based company. "We've already received many compliments. But there is still a lot to do. We want to create a new website with full information about the team, event updates and merchandise." Of course the Veidec Festival at Mantorp Park is a special race for the team. It's their home race and team sponsor Veidec also sponsors the event. "The Veidec hospitality trailer will be there and many guests of the Veidec company will visit our team. Many Veidec employees will be our guests too. It will be great to meet all those people at the race." Roger was, and still is, closely involved in the Pro Stock Bike class and is very happy with the number of bikes and the performance this season. "We put a lot of effort into it, but it pays off. For the first time we had a 16-bike field in eliminations this year. The bump spot has never been so low, different types of bike can advance to the final and riders from four or five different countries can win races. I think with a 22-year-old rider like Kalle, it boosts interest in Pro Stock among young people," says Roger.

It's clear Pro Stock Bike is extremely competitive this season and the perfect showcase for Veidec and Lyrén Motorsport.

Text: Remco Scheelings / Robin Jackson.
Photo: Remco Scheelings

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #5/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010