Jimmy Ålund
Turning up as a late entry and with a borrowed car for the recent Alastaro race, Jimmy "Jimma" Ålund had hoped to remain in competition beyond the qualifying rounds. He says that, since he did not qualify while racing in the USA, he made few runs there. So he had looked forward to making some competitive runs in Finland and felt that the combination he was using might actually have worked well enough to win a round or two.
However, a broken rod during the last qualifying attempt brought an abrupt halt to any such hopes. "The few points I earned in Finland turned out to be very expensive," explains Jimma, who is now working to repair the engine and return it to its original, pre-race condition. The car's owners have entered it in the Sportsman Competition class at Mantorp Park. For Ålund, the only positive thing about slipping out of competition early at Alastaro was the opportunity it allowed him to enjoy the racing as a spectator, a rare situation that will not, he hopes, occur again soon.

Jimmy Ålund´s own car arrived back safely from the USA last Thursday and the crew is spending almost every evening re-adjusting it to a European setup, pretty different in many ways, according to Jimmy, from the setup he ran in America. "We need to go back to 'Mantorp mode', so to speak; check the logging and files from last year." Asked if he is frustrated at being behind in the points standings, he says no, that it only makes him and the crew more eager than ever to get out on the track. Ålund currently lies 8th with 34 points compared to championship leader Micke Malmgren´s 185.

Jimma comments: "I wish it was time for the race at Mantorp tomorrow. I don´t want to wait till next week," and continues, "I need to win at Mantorp, I must win to catch up in the points standings."

He laughs when he says that the other teams have stolen "his" points. We joke about it and when I ask who he considers to be the biggest "points thieves", Jimma says it must be Michael (Malmgren) and Michael (Callin) … but in the next breath that, of course, he thinks it is great for them to have started the season so well and that he is looking forward to giving them a tough fight when the heat is on next week at Mantorp Park.

Text: Åsa Kinnemar/Robin Jackson
Photo:Åsa Kinnemar & Stefan Boman

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #5/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010