Kunmadaras Winners

Sweden’s 2009 UEM European Pro Stock Bike Champion, Ulf Ögge, took the win at 2010’s season-opening UEM event at Kunmadaras Raceway in Hungary. “We raced with our second engine as the track didn´t have the potential for speed records,” said Ulf. “We had some running-in problems with the new engine configuration but, thanks to a competent team, we found a setup that worked just as it should.

“The track was almost like last year -- OK traction at the start but after that not so good. But the guys were able to tune up a 60-foot time of 1.09 seconds, which is just OK for these conditions. “It was great that so many Pro Stock Bikes made it to this event. Seventeen bikes hit the start line at this first race of 2010. That’s a good omen for the future of this class. And, as last year, the hospitality here in Hungary is very good and the staff are very friendly and helpful everywhere.

“Now we´re looking forward to the next race at Santa Pod at the end of May, and we hope to get the same nice weather there as we have had here in Hungary.” So said a very happy and satisfied Ulf Ögge and his team.

Text: Lena Perés
Photo: Lena Perés

In Top Fuel Bike, Kai Selkamaa won the race after the fastest man of the meeting, René van den Berg, had to shut down at the start with a fuel leak.

SG: Are you happy with the performance of the bike in Hungary? Did the race run smoothly for you?
KS: Well, I'm really happy with our bike and the race in Hungary. We've got some problems with the clutch in qualifying, all our runs went up in smoke. However, we managed to find optimal set up before Sunday. In the final I shut the throttle at 300 m in order to save the engine for the next race but if I'd known that the bike was running so well I'd have kept the throttle open the whole way out. It could've been a 6.5 - 6.6 seconds run.

SG: Have you made any changes on the bike for this season?

KS: We were to get a new cylinder head for Hungary but we had to start the season with an old rebuilt one but we've got a new front fork and it's much better.

SG: Have you set any goals for this season?
KS: Absolutely, it's the European Championship!

SG: Which is your favourite track and why?
KS: At the moment, Hungary of course because we took the win.

SG: What is your personal records and do you expect to run quicker than that?
KS: My best ET is 6.955 s (2010 Kunmadaras, Hungary) and my best Top Speed is 331.42 km/h (2008 European Finals). Sure, our goal is to run a low six during this season.

Questions by: Ĺsa Kinnemar

Job Heezen won the opening round of 2010’s UEM Super Twin Bike Championship, held at Kunmadaras, Hungary. Here's what he had to say after his victory.

Job had to travel 1600 km one way to get to Kunmadaras. Was it worth it? For sure, if one wins the first race of the year. Job felt the whole Kunmadaras event had developed and grown in stature compared to last year’s. The track was better and there were more spectators. In his opinion, the event is heading in the right direction.

"A good track is the key to a good event. The surface of the track needs to be ground and then treated with rubber and glue. This facility has the potential to be one of the fastest tracks in Europe, if not the fastest."

Job and his bike won the concluding round of the 2009 UEM Super Twin Championship, last September’s European Finals at Santa Pod. Now they have won again and Job looks like one of the main contenders for this season’s championship.

Job and his bike won the concluding round of the 2009 UEM Super Twin Championship, last September’s European Finals at Santa Pod. Now they have won again and Job looks like one of the main contenders for this season’s championship.

The team intends to enter all this season’s UEM events and Job Heezen seems sure to rank among the favourites to win the Super Twin crown.

Text: Markus Münch

Text: Lena Perés, Markus Münch & Ĺsa Kinnemar

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #1/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010