A new challenge for Jesper Thiel
As reigning European Super Twin Top Gas champion Jesper Thiel takes up the challenge of one of the most prestigious European drag bike series, the UEM European Pro Stock Bike Championship. The combination of his talent, technical skills and a championship winning G2 Buell could make this Danish new kid on the block a force to be reckoned with.
Jesper Thiel, a 32 years old metalworker from Denmark, is married and has two children. In his spare time he runs JT Raceframes a company that builds frames for drag racers all over Europe. Only 17 years old he already worked on motorcycles and in 2005 a dream came true when he made his drag racing debut in the Super Twin Top Gas class. A third position was his best finish.

Two seasons were spent in the workshop to build a new bike. He returned to the strip in 2008 with a third position as his best score again. In 2009 Jesper progressed to the European Super Twin Top Gas Series and in only his third season of racing the Danish driver won four of the eight events he took part in, secured the European Championship and set the European record on the 1/8th mile.

But now in only his fourth season of racing Jesper is ready for the next step. And what a step this is. Jesper bought the G2 Buell from fellow countryman Tom Tinndahn, the 2007 European Pro Stock Championship winning machine, a Kosman chassis with a 160ci 332hp S&S Pro Stock 60 degree V-Twin engine.

For Jesper Pro Stock Bike was the only serious option. “For me in Europe Pro Stock Bike is the class with the highest level of competition and so the class where I want to be. I’ll start the season in Hungary and do the full UEM tour. We can’t do any testing before the first race of the championship so Kunmadaras will see our first runs with the new bike.” With the ex Tom Tinndahn Buell Jesper has a proven winner.

“We did not change much on the bike. It’s a proven set up. Tom will do the tuning, that will help a lot too. But experience is also very important. There will be many very fast bikes in the class this year so my goal is to be in the top five and run into the 7.2 seconds. I’m a rookie in Pro Stock Bike so in the first races we’ll have to get used to the bike, and the UEM tracks are far better than the Top Gas tracks we used to race on.” It’s good to see young riders advance to the next higher level of competition. Pro Stock Bike will be the class to watch this season.

Text: Remco Scheelings
Photo: Team

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #1/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010