Jürgen Nagel
Jürgen Nagel, all in one

Not at least at his own surprise Jürgen Nagel won the Main Event and although he did not race at Alastaro the German is still the number two in the FIA European Top Methanol Funny Car Championship. The man from Hamburg is except owner and driver also the designer and builder of the Funny Car and is in his best ever European season. Now it’s time for his home race, the NitrOlympX at Hockenheim.

Jürgen Nagel is the owner of US Speed Shop and Fast Go, lives in Hamburg and is in his 30th year of dragracing. He started in 1980 in a B Altered and then stepped up to an AA Altered. But in 1996 Jürgen Nagel entered the Top Methanol Funny Car class in a car designed and built by himself. “I was born in Germany but grew up in Canada. I worked for Al Swindahl, the famous chassisbuilder. That’s where I learned how to build racecars. I build my first B Altered in his shop and raced it in Canada.

Then I went back to Germany, but still once a year I fly over to Canada. I built the AA Altered too and then designed and build the Funny Car. My first race was Mantorp Park 1996. As you can see, it’s still the same chassis, the JNR-01. The first body was an Oldsmobile later replaced by the current Camaro body build by Glass in the USA. We run a speed shop in Hamburg, repair USA cars, transmissions, engines and can build engines and chassis too. Rico Anthes’ twoseater was also built by our company.”

Mabanol, a lubricant manufacturer from Hamburg that wants to get involved in the automotive industry, is a new sponsor on Jürgen Nagel’s Camaro and made a great entry in the sport of drag racing when the German won his first ever FIA race at Santa Pod. “It was not the most glorious win but you have to finish first to win a race. We did that and took the lead in the championship. But racing is and will ever be a hobby and must be fun. We have a family and business and run on a very limited budget. It depends on money and time how many races we do each year. To keep the car in one piece is the most important.

A few seasons ago we suffered engine damage at Hockenheim and that was the end of our season.” The NitrOlympX at Hockenheim is of course a special race for Jürgen Nagel and his team. “It’s good for the sponsors and we get many friends over from Hamburg. That’s great, but we are a small team and also have to concentrate on the tuning of the car. That’s the most important part of our job. My crew, Dieter, Erich and Frank are all volunteers and already for a long time the mechanics of the team. It’s a steady crew and without them this would not have been possible”, says a thankful Jürgen Nagel.

Text: Remco Scheelings / David Alexander
Photo: Remco Scheelings

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #7/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010