TALKING WITH RACERS - FIA DRIVERS
Speedgroup in co-operation with Eurodragster.com encouraged the FIA  championship drivers to share their thoughts on the upcoming European Finals and more.. the drivers who took on the challenge either answered our set questions or expressed their thoughts in writing straight from their  minds and hearts! Below we gather you may find some interesting reading, so please enjoy!

MICHAEL MALMGREN - Pro Stock, who is in the lead of the championship points standings (76 points ahead of Michael Callin).

SG: - How are you preparing for the European Finals?

MM: By testing some last weekend at Meca raceway, so we have a good set up for Finals as usually the track at Santa Pod is good, we also like to try some new stuff with hope of improvements.

SG: - What do you hope for performancewise at the European Finals?

MM: I hope we can run our first 6.6 run with speed over 330km, we know we have the power to do it, ist just a matter of how well we can take care of the good power.

SG: - Any major changes done to the car/bike since the last race?

MM: As Hockenheim had a very bad starting line it did require a different set up than Santa Pod, so we are changing quite a lot on our Bickel GTO

SG: - Which drivers in your class do you consider the strongest competitors to win the event at Santa Pod ?

MM: - Anybody, as all are running fast, there is no “slow” cars anymore in Pro stock, but if I have too pick the most likely of course Jimmy Ålund that I know will give everything to make up for his semi final loss at Hockenheim, but also Micke Callin can upset

SG: - And commenting some on the championship outcome;

MM: - Why go testing when we only need to make a good qualifying run at Finals and by that gain enough points to be out of reach and take the title? Well, we want to go to Santa Pod and be fast, and show we are worth a top spot or even better the title of the Championship. Some say it’s a done deal, but it´s not, anything can happen, but we hope to have closed the door Friday night after the first day of qualifying. By testing there is always a small risk something can happen, but I feel confident with my car and team and even if we didn’t go testing we still had some sponsor obligations to handle with Passenger runs on wednesday sept 1st for Lahega.

So we will work very hard to the very end as we have the whole season and it has paid off with very good numbers and consistent runs at every race, something we didn’t have last year. Records don’t win Championship, but consistent runs do, but of course it’s the ice on the cake to also have the record that right now is held by Jimmy Ålund and that is stout, hard to beat!

MICHAEL GULLQVIST- Pro Mod, who is in the lead of the championship (329 points, which is the exact same points as Johan Lindberg but Gullqvist with two internal wins over Lindberg gets the highest rank of the two).

MG: - We had a great event at Hockenheim, sorting the -57 Chevy out and getting it up to speed. After qualifying in second place with a 6.10 after R2B2 teammate Mel Troxel, we cut through the field in eliminations taking out Kuno in first round on Saturday with a 6.11 and the Lindberg Bros, a very important race for championship points, with a 6.12. In the semi we had Mats E, who ran a fine 6.09 in the quarter finals. We knew that anything less than a 6.0 was not going to get the job done, so we just had to step it up.

Mats cut a great light, but I felt the Chevy pulling harder than ever when it started to get out of shape and I was pretty much sideways for a while. I saw Mats on my right side and for a split second I was thinking of get out of it, but then it started to straighten and I was able to pass him just before the finish line running a 6.04 to his 6.08. That was one of the most exciting races in a long time for me.

We are preparing for the finals by just going over things and checking the equipment. As it looks, we will race the Lindberg Bros for the championship at the European Finals, but anything can happen of course. Meanwhile check out our R2B2 team mates, Melanie Troxel, Ray Commisso and Roger Burgess who are racing at the Indy US Nationals this weekend.

ARVID GRÖDEM - Top Methanol Funny Car, currently 3rd in the championship rankings

SG: - How are you preparing for the European Finals ?

AG: We are not doing any special preparations for the European Finals as such other than the usual things we normally do prior to a FIA round. Saying that we plan to change back to our primary set of cylinder heads when we get to Santa Pod as one cylinder head was damaged at Hockenheim and was sent for repair with the Lindahl twins. We have experienced a lot of valve train problems this year culminating with two valve adjustment screws that broke straight off at the Hockenheim race causing severe damage to the body (again...third time this year..) and to the engine.

The Sunoco/Westside Racing crew did a tremendous job to get everything back together in order to be ready for Sundays eliminations. Hopefully, we have sorted the mechanical problems now and then it is just down to the pilot to put some great numbers on the scoreboards at Santa Pod :-)

AG: Performancewise we know that we can put on far better ET's & speed than what we have been able to show so far this season. When (hopefully at the European Finals..) we can get the Sunoco Express Mustang to go the entire 1320' under full power, we should be able to better our PB which is 5,80 /397km/hr.. The ultimate goal is always to win!

SG: - Any major changes done to the car since the last race?

AG: No major changes are done to the car other than changing what was damaged at Hockenheim.

SG: - Which drivers in your class do you consider the strongest competitors to win the event at Santa Pod ?

AG: I would say that our good friend Dan Larsen must be first in line when the favourites shall be listed. However, strange things have happened at the Finals before so the win is up for grabs by most of the drivers in the class.

In the Championship Dan Larsen and Jurgen Nagel is in front of me so I guess the chance to be the overall Champion is more of a theoretical exercise. Saying that, I can repeat what I said above, strange things have happened at the Finals before :-)

PETER SCHÖFER - Top Methanol Dragster, currently 4th in the points standings but with chance to have a go at the 3rd place trophy. Wolfgang Schöfer answered the questions on behalf of Peter.

SG: - How are you preparing for the European Finals?

WS: We are working on our car to prepare for the Finals as good as possible and work for customers. We do our best to prepare the car, but there is no fuel check, blower overdrive check and so on ... on the race track. We would welcome more rigorous checks to ensure all cars are ok according to all rules.

SG: - What do you hope for performancewise at the European Finals

WS: We want to get as many points as possible and as little damage as possible on our car.

WS: It´s hard to do major changes with a tight budget

SG: -Which drivers/riders in your class do you consider the strongest competitors to win the event at Santa Pod?

WS: All..

DAN LARSEN - Top Methanol Funny Car, in lead of the championship (by two points to Jürgen Nagel)

DL: We will test run at the pro test day.

SG: - What do you hope for performancewise at the European Finals ?

DL: As it has been a strange season with Ulf (Leanders) and Leif (Andréasson), a weak starting field in Finland and rain interrupting several events.. the most important to us is that we run consistent and in the low 5.70´s close to the 5.60 barrier. Winning the championship does not feel as important as running quick.

SG: - Any major changes done to the car since the last race?

DL: No changes since Hockenheim

DL: Actually all drivers in the class have potential to run quick, so it can be anyone really.

JOHAN LINDBERG - Pro Mod, Lindberg Bros. who are currently 2nd in the championship on equal points as Micke Gullqvist. Questions answered by Jonnie Lindberg.

JL: We have renovated the engine that broke in Hockenheim and go over the car so everything is in the best possible state. "We love this shit" as we use to say :)

JL: Our goal is a 5 sec. run. 5.95 would be nice!

JL: A completely renovated engine.

SG: - Which drivers/riders in your class do you consider the strongest competitors to win the event at Santa Pod ?

JL: Melanie Troxel, Micke Gullqvist, Urban Johansson and Mats Eriksson.

We will just go for it, we feel we know the track at Santa Pod well and can win, but we have tough competition from many other teams so it is not going to come easy!

JONAS ENGDAHL - Pro Stock, who does his first season as a FIA championship driver. Currently 9th in the championship rankings.

JE: I am preparing mentally and we also briefed what was good and bad at the last race in Hockenheim.

JE: To be the first Mopar in Europe to run 6-sec and naturally to win the race.

JE: We have gone over the car, focusing on everything pretty much.

SG: - Which drivers/riders in your class do you consider the strongest competitors to win the event at Santa Pod ?

JE: Jimmy Ålund.

ESKO RAISVUO - Top Methanol Dragster, 9th in the rankings, who leave his car in Finland and fly over to watch the European Finals

ER: The plan is we fly over to consult someone, since our own stuff is parked more or less temporarily...

SG: - What do you hope for performancewise at the European Finals.

ER: I think if weather is ok and track preps are superb, someone will run 5.2 in TMD - possibly Hanssen.

ER: - Our car is race ready, but parked because I fear the rule changes that was informed on at The Main Event. These rule changes by fuel percentage mean that our engine type is not possible to run anymore with the idea to get into tight top competition. And after all, I´m there to win rounds, not struggle with bump. -94% fuel means that we must buy all new engines, latest evolutions from US at a very high cost.

ER: Timo will win the championship. Dennis did a mistake of all times at Hockenheim with deepstage.

MARCO MAURISCHAT - Pro Mod, currently 14th in the FIA points standings with to advance.

MM: -This time we will do nothing special to the car/engine before the Finals.We prepare the engine like every time coming home after an event. Took everything apart, if needed change parts,order some stuff from the US etc. This year we do some promotion´s and exhibition´s here in Germany for NGK. For this, everything had to be back together last weekend where we had the car on display near Rostock.We had to made some warm up´s up there,for this everything had to be ready to fire up the engine. Now the trailer is ready loaded getting the Wednesday ferry from the Netherlands to England.

So far our season has not been as good as we hoped for. After our good "first year" 2009 with a 6.19 at the Finals in only our 4th race weekend and a 11th place championship standing, our goal was a top 10 FIA finish running our second season in 2010. Things have progessed the other way round so far and we have had many gremlins in the engine this year, that have kept us from running better numbers.

Things changed a bit on Saturday at Hockenheim where we was running better ET´s the first time. We did 4 better runs in a row with a loosing 6.26 the first round against Andy.To get back into the top 10 could be unrealistic, but hopefully we can make a round, set a new personal best,and most important, have good weather and fun! Right now for me there are 4 names that could win the Final`s. At the end everything can happens but I would say Mellanie, Michael (Gullquist), Mats or even Andy could be the winner on Sunday (or may I will be storming through the feld?!).

Text: FIA Drivers or team representatives opinions
collected by Åsa Kinnemar 
on behalf of Speedgroup & Eurodragster.com
(in some cases the text have been translated)

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #10/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010