Leif Andréasson 

Interview with Leif Andréasson, founder of the Tierp Arena, Sweden´s newest drag racing track and multi-sports venue. Questions asked by Åsa Kinnemar Speedgroup/edited by Robin Jackson.

SG: How come Tierp is the location for the new venue and how and when did the journey with the track project start?

LA: It all started in 2009 when a childhood friend, now working as the head of the technical department in the Tierp community, called and asked if I wanted to do something fun with their former airfield. The Tierp community had become its owner in a business deal with the bureau of road transportation when the E4 motorway was reconstructed. The community did not believe they themselves could make something good of it, but had initial faith that I could pull something off. And after having visited the area, I soon realised the site had potential and the project could turn into something really good.

First turf turn in June 2010 

SG: What's been the key to success with the Tierp Arena project so far, keeping in mind that others have tried and failed in the past?

LA: I think we saw from the beginning that we should need to present the complete concept. It is not enough just to have a group of enthusiasts who burn for their cause nor is it enough, even, to have a funding solution ready. No, you need to have the whole spectrum of a group pushing the project forward, established funding, a realistic budget, an inspiring vision and, last but not least, you need to have the decision makers on your side from the start. The Tierp community board and people in charge have given us full support from day one.

SG: As a drag racing driver of many years' experience, you know what it takes for event organisers and track operators to keep teams and spectators happy. Have you benefited in any way from that knowledge so far? And what ingredients do you think are important for organising a successful event, from both teams' and spectators' perspectives?

LA: Yes, I am sure of it. I've experienced a lot through my drag racing career, both good and bad. But it is not only I who will influence the end result, as we are a tight-knit group of people leading the project. All of us have useful experience in all kinds of angles and aspects involved in running a major event. As a racer, you want to be kept informed about all decisions that concern you and always have accurate information to hand. You want to have clean, functioning showers and toilets and it's good, too, if there is fresh, varied food available on-site. These are things spectators want as well so, at the same time, we shall put a lot of effort into making our events something for the whole family. Another, not unimportant, requirement is that visitors should be able to access and leave the venue smoothly.

The Tierp Arena gang

SG: What drag racing events do you plan for 2011?

LA: We are running an NDRS (Nordic Drag Racing Series) event from May 6th-8th, to which we shall also invite teams from the European Championship classes. Following that, we'll have an international event from June 10th-12th, which we hope will be granted championship status.

SG: Tierp Motorpark has applied for a round of the FIA & UEM Championship for the June 10th-12th event. What is the present situation (late November 2010) and will plans change depending on what status is granted to the event by FIA & UEM?

LA: At the moment we are working as we should if the event in June had Championship status. As we see it, there is no obvious reason why it should not. We are working to develop the sport in several ways: on the one hand, there's the safety level for the drivers and riders that we seek to increase; at the same time we are striving to take the spectators' experience one step further. But if, for any reason, we don't attain championship status, we shall run an international event on the same days. We know we have strong support and there is plenty of interest to come and run at the new Tierp track.

SG: The concrete drag strip was completed mid-November 2010. What is the next step and how does the schedule look for other parts of the arena?

LA: At the moment we are continuing with land work, preparing the area where the pits will be, an anti-spin test track, the buildings and the grandstands. In January the foundation for the main building is scheduled to be ready and then the construction work starts. During the same period we plan to start building the grandstands which will hold 20,000 seats.

Building the track

SG: What do you think of the fact that Sweden might host two European Drag Racing Championship events in the coming years? Is Tierp Motorpark happy to co-operate with other event organisers such as Mantorp Park, which is already an established championship track? If so, in what ways do you think you can assist each other?

LA: We are open to all kinds of co-operation. I believe in this business we all have to strive towards the same goal to develop the sport. I can imagine co-operation between organisers might consist of helping each other in promotion and marketing, and also in providing skilled staff for the events.

SG: Anything in particular you wish to tell the FIA & UEM teams at the moment?

LA: On behalf of the whole "Tierp gang", I wish to tell the teams and other participants that they will be very welcome at Tierp in June 2011. Together we can produce an event that goes down in history as one of the best ever! Now, together, we have the opportunity to take European Drag Racing into the future.

SG: Thank you, Leif.

A very important and historical milestone for European drag racing was reached late last Friday. The all concrete quarter mile drag racing track at Tierp Arena was successfully completed.

Reaching the finish line

At this time of the year, the weather i Sweden is anything but predictable. And to be able to cast a drag racing strip of the highest standard, there simply can't be any rain or snow falling while the work is being done. In the last two weeks we have had a total of five days of nice weather which was the perfect condition for pouring the concrete. With a fantastic team of highly professional construction workers who despite long grueling hours were able to complete the track.

Preparing for the pit area 

The building of the drag strip is very important. But at the same time, it's just the first of many steps to be taken before the arena is complete. Tierp Arena is a multi arena project being built in the most central part of Sweden. This arena will besides drag racing and other motor sport events, hold several large outdoor fairs and music concerts. There will also be a wide range of other sporting events, like cross country skiing, showjumping and much more. The possibilities are endless. Besides all the different events, the area will also hold numerous educational activities throughout the year.

Job to do before pouring concrete

Some figures and facts about Tierp Arena

The all concrete drag strip is a quarter of a mile(402 meters) long and 59 feet/18 meters wide. The first of it's kind in Europe.

The race track ends with half a mile(800 meters) of braking area

A total of three quarters of a mile(1200 meters) of concrete safety barriers will run along each side of the track.

The U-shaped grand stand will have a 20000 permanent seating capacity.

4.5 million Swedes live within three hours driving range of Tierp Arena.

Tierp Arena is situated just over 1 hours drive north of the center of Stockholm, the capital of Sweden.

It takes less than 1 hour drive to Tierp Arena from Stockholm Arlanda international airport.

The first drag racing event will be held in May 2011.

Learn more:

Tierp Arena Website
Tierp Arena at Facebook

Text: Interview with Leif Andréasson by Speedgroup/Åsa Kinnemar
edited by Robin Jackson
Photos: Speedgroup and Tierp Arena

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #13/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
> Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
> e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
> © Speedgroup 2010