Talking with Racers - Andy Carter Top Fuel Dragster
2009 Top Fuel Dragster Champion  Andy Carter, had some ups and downs the race season 2010. He ended 4th in the FIA championship points standing ,loosing the champions title to Urs Erbacher.  

Carter however ended the season in grand style by setting a stunning new European ET record of 4.572 sec. at the European Finals. And soon after that attracted a lot of interest when he was announced as the driver for the new UK based team West-Tec, which are entering the FIA championship 2011 in Top Fuel Dragster.

Below follows an interview with Andy Carter by Speedgroup. 

SG: First of all.. Do you wish to comment some on what the season 2010 was like for you?

AC: 2010 was very disappointing for me, we struggled at the first 2 races but by Sweden and Germany Karsten, Per and the team had the Lucas Oil Dragster flying again and then the rain came, and this put paid to my Championship hopes. Something has to be done to allow us to beat the rain and to run each round, there is to much work, effort and money involved in running an FIA Top Fuel Team to lose rounds. At the 4 day events I would suggest running 2 qualifiers on Thursday, 2 on Friday and first round of TF on Saturday with the last 2 rounds on Sunday, also I suggest moving FIA qualifying sessions earlier in the day. By moving everything earlier we have more chance of beating the rain and finishing more of the meeting.    

Happy crew after having set a new European record

SG: What can you tell us about your new team West - Tec?  

AC: I'm so excited about this new venture! West Tec have been a professional Motorsport Team for 23 years with lots of Karting, Formula Ford and Formula 3 experience. I have known Gavin Wills the owner of West Tec for 6 years and I think it's great to have someone with no Drag Racing experience heavily involved , there should be lots of new thinking involved in the management of the team. One of my goals since I started in TF in 1994 was to have a professional team, a proper race shop, offices, board room, etc, this is done! Now we need to take this forward to the next level, we have lots of ideas!

Hiding from the sun at Mantorp Park july 2010-the eliminations (ironic enough) could not be completed due to rain.

SG: What are you plans for the "off race season" period ahead and any thoughts you can share looking ahead towards the 2011 season?

AC: On the promotional / show side I still have the NEC Classic Car Show in November to do for Lucas Oil and the show commitments start again with the NEC Autosport in January, but in between that I'm going to spend a month in Florida to get focused and fit. There is a lot to do on the racing equipment, 2011 is not going to be easy by any means, I know what it takes to run a TF team at the top level and besides everything else we are going to need 100% commitment from everyone in the team. There will need to be some development in 11, but of course we are going for the Championship.

Last minute preparations before entering the Santa Pod Raceway drag strip

SG: What will in your opinion be the most important ingredients for anyone who wish to conquer the European Top Fuel Dragster Champions title 2011?

AC: I know the answers but I'm sorry I don't want to put them on here.

On track during the 25th NitrOlympx at the Hockenheim Ring, Germany

SG: Is there anyone in particular you wish to thank for contributing to your success during the past few years? 

AC: Yes there are lots of people and companies. In no particular order, everyone at Lucas Oil UK and USA, Karsten and Per Andersen and all the Andersen Racing Team, everyone at Carter Motorsport, all my associate sponsors, Speedgroup, everyone at Santa Pod Raceway, my wife Sarah Carter, all the fantastic fans, all my great friends, family and anyone and everyone who helps and supports in any way, it really is appreciated.

Read the press release from team West-Tec by following the link.

You can keep up to speed with Andy Carter and Team West Tec at www.andycarter.net or http://www.facebook.com/CarterMotorsport 
or http://teamwest-tec.com

Andy posing with Santa Pod Raceway track crew

Text: Ĺsa Kinnemar based on an interview with Andy Carter
Photos: Speedgroup/Lena Perés
Sketch: Team West-Tec

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #12/2010
www.club.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2010