Driver profile - Simon Gustafsson 
Super Simon changes class
Even though he´s at the top of his class in EDRS Super Street, Simon decided to risk points to complete his drivers license for the FIA Pro Stock class.
Simon Gustafsson has been racing in the Super Street class since 2010, and with great success. He has also beaten his uncle, Christer Gustafsson, who´s not easy to conquer. He has also been racing his cousins Jennifer and Jessica who was very successful in the class a couple of years ago. In addition Simon also got another cousin on his crew, Johan Skoglund, which has been with him since they were children. In other words, he´s brought up to be a racer. And now Simon felt that it´s time to take the final step in to the great FIA class Pro Stock.

Even though, he was in points lead in the Super Street class, over his uncle at the Summer Nationals at Tierp Arena, he chose to let go of that and do the license instead, with Christer as a crew chief. His dad Torbjörn Gustafsson is also a team member. Mats Järleby, who is the only one outside the family, have been working with them during many year, so he might seem like a family member anyway.

How come that Simon chooses FIA Pro Stock before any other class?

-    Well, it might have something to do with uncle Christers history in the class, tell Simon. He´s been there for so many years and is one of the best crew chiefs to get. He worked for Michael Malmgren as a crew chief for many years. Then he was a crew chief for Jonas Dantanus until last year, when he chose to take a break.

And I have been thinking of stepping up for quite a while now and this class is just what I want to be in. It’s a challenge to drive and everyone has to be at the edge to get it work. Of course I wouldn’t mind to drive in another class, but as I got all the best knowledge people in Pro Stock it´s just feels right.

photo: The crew just got the message from clerk Helene Rapp that the license is done with no problems.

photo: Simon Gustafsson started his drag racing career 2010 and since then he´s been heading for the FIA Pro Stock class. And now he’s there!

Simon and team did all the five runs, during the license driving at Tierp Arena on Saturdays Summer Nationals, with no complaining and when the last full quarter mile run was done the clerk Helene Rapps answer was a clear,  Ohh yes, no doubts!

-    I will very much get my own Pro Stock car now and build up my own business around that, says Simon. But it all comes to what money there is. There is a discussions going on with some sponsors but nothing is clear. I got my Super Street car on sale and I have to get dispose of that. So, hopefully I can solve all this until next season. And maybe there is a chance I can rent Jonas Dantanus car again, at the next race at Tierp Arena, in august to get some experience runs in my back. But, never the less, I am going to run the Super Street car that weekend to give uncle Christer a challenge at the top in the Super Street class. I will thank Jonas for lending us the car and also Jimmy Ålund for all the help we got from him this weekend. Thanks a lot both of You!

Right now Christer is in the lead with 519 points vs. Simons 381 so it might be a tuff one to beat. But there is two races left, Gardemoen and Tierp, so there is a little chance for Simon to take in on uncle Christer. The battle is on for some weeks more, and then the two combatants might come together and take up another battle, in Pro Stock. That will be shown the next season, and we wish the Simon Gustafsson Motorsports team good luck with their plans!

photo: Simon have a well experienced team around him where his uncle Christer Gustafsson is the crew chief and cousin Johan Skoglund, Mats Järleby and dad Torbjörn Gustafsson is members. Christer and Mats has been in Jonas Dantanus team for some years, and Johan is the Super Street team member.

Simon rented Jonas Dantanus Pro Stock car to get the license. And he might be able to do it again
for the Scandinavian Internationals hosted by Tierp Arena at the end of august!
www.tierparena.com

Text & photos by Lena Perés

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #9/2013

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2013