Dan Williams - Stock Super Stock
Daniel Williams is one of very few British drivers who is active in the Stock Super Stock class, the class which include many stunning US manufactured cars and where the majority of teams come from Sweden and Finland. Speedgroup´s Åsa Kinnemar took the opportunity to ask Dan a few questions about the past and what´s up for the forthcoming race season..
ÅK: Can you tell us a bit about your drag racing career so far?

DW: I have grown up with hot rods and American cars as my father built and raced cars which started my passion for drag racing. When I was 19 I built a 1934 Ford Roadster which was the first car I raced at RWYB at Santa Pod, I was working for Pete Knight Racing Engines at the time which gave me an ideal start into building my own engines. My next car was a 1932 Ford Coupe Gasser which was my first race car but my dream car was a 1969 Chevy Nova which I brought in 2008. I currently compete in Pro Et and Stock/Super Stock. I follow every stock eliminator NHRA round in the US, I love the way you can take a stock combination car and get them to run as fast as they do. Every car in these classes are beautiful show quality cars.

ÅK: The Stock Super Stock class is at the moment a very Scandinavian class with mainly teams in Sweden and Finland active. Do you see potential in the UK for the class also for the coming years?

DW: I think there is potential for a Stock/Super Stock class in the UK as there are a lot of good cars over here, a race event has started at Santa Pod called Super Stock Shootout for stock bodied American cars. I actually won the first event in this class in 2012. There was talk between myself and fellow Stock/Super Stock racer, Rick McCann (Heaven & Hell) about trying to organise a round at one of our National event, it would be great to get some of the Scandinavian racers and cars over.

ÅK: Can you tell us a bit about the car?

DW: The car is NHRA legal Stock eliminator with a 396, I am currently having a new motor built by Brian Tilburg ready for the 2013 season. The Gold livery is the original colour for the car (painted by OCS, Nic Williams, my brother). It has a moser rear axle with light weight gears, gun drilled shafts etc. Transmission is a TH350 built by ProTrans.

Dan Williams (to the right) was runner up at the EDRS nationals at Sweden´s Tierp Arena in May 2012. Anders Lindh was the winner that time.

ÅK: In brief what did last season (2012) look like for you, any ups and downs in particular you wish to mention?

DW: I reached the finals and finished 2nd in the EDRS Nationals which was my first ever event in Sweden. I didn’t imagine getting to the final after putting the car on the bumper in the first qualifier, myself and my team were amazed by all of the help and support from the other racers.

ÅK: Are there any updates done to the car over the winter have you yet planned what races you will attend in 2013? What is your goal for this year?

DW: Other than the new motor, I will be running new wheels and tyres and have freshened up a few parts during the winter. I have also fitted some new afco double adjustable front shocks and a new wheelie bar. My goals for 2013 are to complete a full season at Tierp and just do my best every round.

ÅK: Who would you like to send a special thanks to for supporting you?

DW: Thanks to my wife Elaine,  brother Nic, Dad Keith and team members Bob & Alix who all help and support. I would also like to mention a big thanks to all of the racers and staff at Tierp for making us feel welcome and the world class organization and track, thank you!

Link to SSSA - the Stock Super Stock Association www.sssa.se

The great looking Nova in action at Santa Pod Raceway, UK

Text based on an interview with Daniel Williams by Åsa Kinnemar
Photos: courtesy of Daniel Williams.
Winners circle pgoto by Lena Perés

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #2/2013

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2013