FIA Pro Stock - Review
Once again I was delighted to attend the wonderful Tierp Arena.  Sweden and my Pro Stock friends were, as always, welcoming and friendly, especially Mats Jacobsson who generously provided me with sleeping space in his trailer. Before this event, the championship leader was Jimmy Ålund on 404 from Thomas Lindström on 360, Michael Malmgren on 236 and Micke Callin on 186.
The championship has only two rounds left to run, so has now really turned into a two way fight.  Mathematically, Michael could still be crowned champion, assuming Jimmy and Thomas both exited first round at both Tierp and Santa Pod and qualified very low.  This seems unlikely.  There would seem to be two clear fights in pro stock for the last two events.  The fight for the number one spot, between Jimmy and Thomas, and the fight for the number 3 spot between Michael and Micke.

My son Ruaridh and I travelled to Tierp through Thursday using planes, buses, taxis and trains.  If you have never been to Tierp, I must recommend that you make the trip.  Stockholm is well connected to the rest of Europe by many budget airlines, and once you arrive, it is pretty easy to get from any of the Stockholm airports up to Tierp on the trains, and also relatively inexpensive.

As we arrived at the track, and walked up to the Pro-Stock pits, I was amazed by the amount of Santa Pod jackets that were in evidence.  There were Santa Pod fleeces, Santa Pod raincoats, Santa Pod wind cheaters and Santa Pod body warmers, but no other track jackets can be seen.  This made me think that either Alstaro, Tierp and Hockenheim do not sell jackets, OR it can be cold and wet in Santa Pod! 

Mats Jacobsson has a new engine that he will use at this event and will hope to qualify and take personal best times.  An loose electrical connector has caused them some problems earlier in the year, robbing some rpm on launch, but after much testing and searching, Mats has located and fixed the problem, so launches should be smoother.

Jan Palmqvist tells me he has not touched the car since Hockenheim. “We emptied the fridge and the waste water tank, but we have not touched the car since Germany”

Micke Callin has had a bad month.  It is not for me, or for these articles to cover Micke’s life away from the track, and I don’t think he would want me to either.  This is more than likely Micke’s last year in Pro-Stock, unless a sponsor comes up with the money for a new engine.  I will be sorry and sad to say goodbye to Micke and his crew.  The biggest smiles in Pro Stock and over seven years on the European tour, they have provided us with some great moments over the years.

Christian Sagelv was delighted with his personal best times from Hockenheim and wants to maintain that momentum here in Tierp.  Christian is a purist Pro-Stock racer and is tuning his engine and chassis combination towards the 6.6 second bracket.

Ulf Wagnhester and the Samantha racing Pro Stock Dodge Avenger are pretty happy with the way their testing and set up is going.  Ulf recognises that he will not be taking on Jimmy and Thomas in the horsepower stakes, but sometimes power is not everything, and to qualify, you have to get down the track without shaking or spinning the tyres.  The weather looks like it will be so good that the track might prove a little trickier than some people think.

Jan Ericsson’s Pontiac Grand Am has run down into the 6.7’s so we will see if it can go further on what should be an excellent track.  Janne and I meet for the first time on Thursday, and he tells me that he will only run Scandinavian events in 2013, but if it looks like he can be competitive, the team will have to look into going to some more rounds in 2014.  I hope they can make it; it would be excellent to see more cars on the tour.

Thomas Lindström is getting married in his pit on Friday, but Roffe will not let that distract the team from taking the fight all the way to the end with Jimmy.

Jimmy Ålund is concerned that they may have too much power for the track, and they might struggle to harness it all.  “We will have to see, but I think we need to think hard about how we attack this track with the weather as good as this.  We might be making too much power for our gearing”.  Drag Racers….  Never happy!

Michael Malmgren

Friday Q1
Mats and Christian are the first pair to take a shot on the track.  The weather is close to perfect with an almost cloudless sky, very little wind and mid 20’s temperatures.  A good close look at the start line shows that the track conditions are excellent. Mats takes a bit of a pounding from shake, but drives through with a small pedal to take the stripe in 7.185.  Alongside him, Christian puts in a very respectable 6.79, but the terminal speed looks low at 314 so I think he can definitely improve on that.  6.7 is a very good start though.

Jan Ericsson and Ulf are the second pair.  Jan’s car hits shake and hooks hard right, headed for the centre line before Jan gets off the power to register a 17 second run.  Things are better though in the right lane for Ulf as he takes a pretty trouble free 6.8

Jan Palmqvist and Magnus are next to try, with Jan making a big wheel standing half pass for an 8.0 time.  Strange things happening for Magnus in the other lane, as the car dies just before burnout, then restarts but seems to be struggling for rpm.  The car dies on the line again and Magnus does not record a time

Micke and Michael pair up next.  Both cars hit shake from the hit, and both drivers get off the power almost as soon as they got on it.  15.8 for Micke, 16.0 for Michael

Thomas and Jimmy both put in big burnouts, which the crowd appreciate with some nice applause.  That is all the applause they going to get on this lap though.  Thomas’ car jumps out of stage and gets an LB3A so no time, although Thomas does drive it up the track.  Jimmy hits shake which causes a big right turn and Jimmy comes out of the throttle and registers a very un Jimmy like 14.8

The crews head off to collect the cars and we will try that again this afternoon.

Q1           
Driver              ET        KMH    MPH
Christian Sagelv 6.7999  314.14/195.20
Ulf Wagnhester 6.8426  324.32/201.52
Mats Jacobsson 7.1857 323.74/201.16
Jan Palmqvist  8.0225 179.28/111.40
Jimmy Ålund 14.8582 71.27/44.29
Micke Callin 15.8467  83.67/51.99
Michael Malmgren16.0793 74.59/   46.35
Jan Ericsson 17.7843  60.64/37.68
Thomas Lindstrom    no time    no speed    Magnus Petersson    no time    no speed     
Friday Q2

The bump spot from this morning is 17.784 seconds (Jan Ericsson) which astonishingly is a full 5 seconds faster than the bump spot was at this time last year.

Magnus and Thomas can only really improve in this round, as neither recorded a time in Q1.  Magnus makes a respectable 6.7 pass while Thomas shuts off very early on what appears to be a check out pass to register a 7.0 time but that puts him on the board at least.

Bump spot moves to Micke Callin (15.846)

Michael is paired with Jan Ericsson.  Jan’s car bogs down badly at the hit in the right lane and loses all drive before cutting completely before half track.  Michael however has a storming run to smash his personal best time (6.73 I believe) with a 6.661 at 335.61 kmh.  The crew are delighted, and I can imagine that the normally calm Michael is a very happy driver as he pulls off at the top end.

The Bump spot is now Jimmy Ålund (14.858)

Jimmy and Micke are paired up now, both trying to get out of the bump spot.  Jimmy’s car lifts the front end very high and it sounds like the revs climb a long way before Jimmy shuts off and rolls through the line in 11.8  Micke does not fare much better with a huge shake induced right turn towards the guard rail to run through with an 11.3 which sets the new bump spot.  Jimmy Ålund is not qualified now.

Bump spot is Micke Callin (11.311)

Ulf and Jan Palmqvist pair up next.  Both drivers manage to improve on their times from Q1 with Ulf registering 6.83 and Jan taking a 7.29

Christian and Mats round out the session.  Christian’s Ford leaves well, but then hits shake pretty early and Christian gets off the gas to roll through in 15.9.  Mats has a much better time in the right lane taking the car into the 6’s

Qualifying positions after Q2       
Driver                     ET    KMH/MPH
Michael Malmgren 6.6612 335.61/    208.54
Magnus Petersson 6.7283 335.61/    208.5389
Christian Sagelv 6.7999 314.14/195.20
Ulf Wagnhester 6.8301 324.13/201.41
Mats Jacobsson 6.8622 325.89/202.50
Thomas Lindstrom 7.0814 248.05/    154.1315
Jan Palmqvist  7.2978  231.07/143.58
Micke Callin  11.3115   126.23/78.44
Jimmy Ålund  11.8656   100.22/62.27
Jan Ericsson   17.7843    60.64/37.68

The Pro Stock presentation and parade was a new feature at the Scandinavian Internats

Friday Evening
Thomas Lindström and Nina Norin are married in the Ernyrd cars pit.  Lots of support from the other pro stock teams and from other classes.     

Jimmy Ålund (left) and Thomas Lindström on the podium at Tierp

Saturday Qualification 3
Lots of teams have sponsors here for today’s racing Jimmy Ålund, Thomas Lindström and Christian Sagelv all have large parties watching.  All of these will be keen to impress.

On the way to the pairing lanes I set up a little competition to predict the bump spot at the end of Q3.  Big prize money of 10 SEK (about £1 or €1.16) is on offer to the driver who most closely predicts the Q3 bump spot.  It would appear that everyone has more faith than me, as I predict a 6.9 bump, yet all the other drivers settle for somewhere between 6.78 and 6.85.  We shall see.

Bump Spot 11.311 (Micke Callin)

Jan Ericsson and Christian make up the first pair. Pairings and running order should be reverse qualifying order (number 1 runs against number 2 in the last pair) and alternate lanes, however number 1 – 4 were in the left lane yesterday, number 5-8 were in the right lane so the pairs are a bit all over the place to compensate.  Jan is not qualified at this point, so he is hoping to get into the game, and he does so easily, taking the stripe in 6.77 to Christian’s 6.79 excellent heads up drag race with the cars side by side all the way to the end.  Big move from last to third for Jan.

Bump spot is now 7.297 (Jan Palmqvist)

Micke and Jimmy are both looking to get in the show.  I spoke to Jimmy late last night, and he believes he has found the answer.  We wait to see.  Micke hits massive shake again and has to get off the power, but in the right lane, Jimmy has definitely found the solution as he storms down the track to record a 6.56 PB

The Bump spot has moved now to 7.081 (Thomas Lindström)

Jan Palmqvist and Ulf take to the stage in the next pair and both deliver consistent passes to record 6.79PB and 6.83PB respectively

Bump spot is now 6.86 (Mats Jacobsson) so I guess I can kiss goodbye to 10 SEK  !!!!

The newly married Thomas is currently not qualified, and is paired with the man in third place, Magnus is having a good weekend so far. And it continues as he records a new PB of 6.6483.  Alongside him in the left lane, Thomas also delivers with a storming 6.59

The bump spot moves to 6.83 (Ulf Wagnhester)

The final pair are Mats and Michael.  Mats cannot find anything better than yesterday, but Michael records another new PB at 6.648

Qualifying positions after Q3       
Driver             ET        KMH/MPH
Jimmy Ålund 6.5603  342.42/212.7705
Thomas Lindstrom 6.5911 338.87/    210.5646
Magnus Petersson 6.6483 335.4/    208.4084
Michael Malmgren 6.6488 336.45/    209.0609
Jan Ericsson 6.7764  329.27/204.5994
Christian Sagelv 6.7955 330.68/   205.4755
Jan Palmqvist 6.7978 328.07/203.8538
Ulf Wagnhester 6.8301 324.13/    201.4055
Mats Jacobsson 6.8622 325.89/    202.4992
Micke Callin 11.3115 126.23/78.43588

Christian Sagelv receives 10 SEK for correctly predicting a 6.83 bump spot.

Saturday Q4
The last chance for anyone to improve and the air is good.  Temperatures through the day have been quite high, but it is cooling down a little now and the Pro Stock cars should like it.

Bump Spot 6.8301 (Ulf Wagnhester)

The first pair are Ulf and Micke.  Last chance saloon for Micke and very dangerous territory for Ulf, both cars burn out well and no dramas in staging.  Ulf cannot find anything else in the car or the track and gets bumped by Micke Callin, who, in his first full pass registers a very respectable 6.629 which puts him far enough up the ladder to guarantee a place in tomorrow’s eliminations.

Bump Spot 6.797 (Jan Palmqvist)

Christian and Mats come through the tunnel next.  This is Mats last chance, only he can bump Jan out of the show.  Christian makes a very consistent pass in 6.79, but sadly Mats cannot improve enough to bump Jan out of the field.  6.847 would have been good enough to qualify at most events, but here, in the quickest and fastest 8 car field in Europe, it is not enough, and Mats will be a spectator with Ulf tomorrow

Michael and Jan Palmqvist pair up next.  For the first time ever, I feel tyre shake up through my feet on the start line from Michael’s car.  I have no idea how that felt from inside the car, but it must have been violent as even very experienced start line crew look across at me with pained expressions.  Jan cannot improve either, but is now safe.

Magnus and Jan Ericsson are next, but neither improve

Jimmy and Thomas square up to race last.  Jimmy storms the track to set new PB, new European speed and ET records backing up from this morning.  Jimmy takes the stripe in 6.5342 at 343.29.  Thomas gets down the track in 6.67 but does not improve.

Final Qualifying positions after Q4       
Driver           ET         KMH    MPH
Jimmy Ålund   6.5342   343.29/213.31
Thomas Lindstrom 6.5911 338.87/    210.56
Micke Callin  6.6295 337.5/209.71
Magnus Petersson 6.6483 335.4/208.41
Michael Malmgren 6.6488 336.45/    209.06
Christian Sagelv 6.7697 330.68/205.48
Jan Ericsson  6.7764  329.27/204.60
Jan Palmqvist 6.7978 328.07/203.85
Ulf Wagnhester 6.8301 324.13/201.41
Mats Jacobsson 6.8475 325.5/202.26

So we have set a new bump spot record in Pro-Stock.  The quickest and fastest eight car field in European Pro-Stock drag racing history has now been set at 6.79 and an average speed of 334.9 kmh/208.1 mph

Sunday – Eliminations
The final qualifying positions provide the following pairs for Elimination round 1
Michael Malmgren – Magnus Petersson
Christian Sagelv –  Micke Callin
Thomas Lindstrom – Jan Ericsson
Jimmy Ålund – Jan Palmqvist

Michael and Magnus are the first pair to Elimination.  Martin Petersson, Magnus’ son and crew chief brings Magnus back onto a clean track after Magnus’ burn out takes him outside the groove.  I do not know if the lack of fresh rubber is a contributory factor, but Magnus gets loose at the hit and comes across to the centre line before correcting with a little pedal, which must have cost him some time before he really gets on it and storms through the line in 6.672 which loses to a 6.661 from Michael, which Michael drive through shake.  Magnus is headed for the trailer, and Michael keeps his chances alive.

Christian seems to hit the wheelie bars too hard and briefly looks to lose some traction, sending him off towards the centre line and out of the groove, which allows Micke to plough ahead on a pretty straight run to a decent 6.625 which beats Christian’s 6.839 and Christian is headed back to the trailer.

Thomas has a pretty drama free round delivering an un-hurried 6.59 to defeat Jan Ericsson.  Jan has a considerably more interesting time in the right lane, getting sorely out of shape on burn out and again hooking left after the lights run.  Thomas progresses while Jan goes back to the pits to pack

By my reckoning, Jimmy needs to win this race and then turn a wheel at Santa Pod to make it impossible for Thomas to retain his crown, and Jimmy doesn’t need to even try, as Jan Palmqvist trims the tree too much and goes red, handing what must surely be the 2013 championship to Jimmy.  Nevertheless, Jimmy races and wins in style with an arrow straight 6.543 at 342

Sunday Eliminations Round 2

Winners and pairings from round one are
Jimmy Ålund - Michael Malmgren
Thomas Lindström - Micke Callin

Jimmy leaves on Michael and then out runs him too.  I doubt Jimmy even saw Michael during that race, but it is worth noting that Michael had not run quicker than 6.7 until this weekend and now has four laps in the 60’s under his belt.  I expect we will see the car improve from here.

Micke Callin can only watch the Ernyrd cars 2013 Dodge Stratus (sorry, small in joke to see who is reading) disappear into the distance as Micke makes a long way round trip to the line to deliver a 6.595 and 6.695 respective pair of times.  As I turn away from the clocks, I can see Micke’s crew.  This is probably their last race.  They have not pulled out any points against Michael Malmgren and so it is highly unlikely they will go to race at Santa Pod.  MGC Racing has been a feature on the pro stock circuit for a long time, and the crew are pretty emotional as they turn away from the track for what could be the last time.

We have our finalists, and they are the champion and the champion elect

Sunday – Final
Jimmy Ålund - Thomas Lindström

What has become the standard battle.  The last eight finals have featured Thomas and Jimmy (or would have done if they had not been rained off/cancelled) you have to go back to Alastaro.  The last eight finals have featured Thomas and Jimmy (or would have done if they had not been rained off/cancelled) you have to go back to Alastaro 2012 before you can find a final round that Thomas and Jimmy were not racing each other.

But Thomas car launches straight into shake.  He tries to drive through it, but is headed for the guard rail.  New bride Nina has a scary moment as Thomas wrestles the car straight again, but it is all over.  Jimmy’s Camaro sits down hard off the line, launches square, perhaps picking up the inside front wheel at the most before rocking off to the line in a consistent 6.55.

So now we move on to Santa Pod where Jimmy Ålund will surely secure the championship.  With a four car field in England, there are not enough points left for Thomas to overhaul Jimmy.  Jimmy says he has never tired of winning Pro-Stock titles, Thomas tells me he is not going to take this lying down and he wants his number 1 back.  Like the great rivalries in drag racing before them,   Jimmy v Thomas could go on for a long time, I am certainly going to stay in touch with this one, I recommend you do too

- LINK TO ELIMINATION LADDER

Team Ålund

Part of Thomas Lindström´s team R/T 

Ålund 

The grandstands was well filled at Tierp Arena when Jan Palmqvist (near lane) and Ulf Wagnheter
entered the track during saturdays qualifications

POINTS STANDINGS AFTER SCANDINAVIAN INTERNATIONALS:

Driver

Number

Country

GB

SWE

FIN

GER

SWE

GB

Total