EDRS Profile -
Team Åke Eliasson
Top Doorslammer

Leader of the Top Doorslammers
Åke Eliasson is one of our most talented Top Doorslammer drivers this season lead s the points table of the EDRS European Drad Racing Series with one event remaining. Åke has been in darg racing since 1980th in different ways. At the time mostly on the streets with his souped-up Volvo. But in 1996 there was other more important things to take care of.
-    My son was on the way so that was more important, says Åke. But at the autumn 2002 I and my wife Lisa bought our first American car, a completely original Camaro 1995 which I just should do some “small” work at during the winter.
But when springtime came it was more a race car then a crusing car in the garage when it came to the engine, so to test it Åke and Lisa went to Västerås airfield, where drag racing events was arranged, for several years.
-    That race was a part of Lazzat series and, without any plans to go for a series, we actually won our class that year. I also raced at some "black races" at the time.
Over the years 2004 and 2005 the car was developed with, for instance, a pro charger and those years Åke did lots of test driving at small tracks like Tullinge, Malby and Västerås in different classes.

-  In 2006 it started to feel that everything was in control so me and Lisa raced in two different cups with the same car. Me in Real Street at Tullinge and Lisa the MSDR cup (Mellansvenska Dragrace Cupen). I won my series and Lisa was runner up that year.

Next year Åke and Lisa took the engine in to an Opel Ascona and raced Super Smallblock in Toyo Cup and Pro Street in MSDR where they ended up at winner and runner up again.
-    The year after that we continued to race the same car in MSDR cup in Gatbil A, and won that cup to. I had also built a new engine for the Camaro so Lisa raced that at a few races. But after a small incident she put the helmet aside and is now the crew chief in the team instead.

photo: Åke is doing some last fixes in the lineup area at Tierp Arena.

photo: Åke Eliassons shining yellow Pontiac Firebird is flying over the strip and seems to be hard to beat.

In 2009 there was a new era in the Eliasson family. They bought Mattias Wulcan Competition Firebird (Mattias is now successfully competing in FIA Pro Modified).
-    I competed in MSDR in the Pro Street class and took the win again. That was the only season I raced with carburetor and not with a pro charger.
Next offseason the first Hemi came in to the Eliasson garage, so back to electronic injection and pro charger again.
-    Unfortunately the competition car was too weak for the new project so we sold that and a new car from US was bought.

Why I chose a Top Doorslammer car was just a natural thing for me. I have never liked carburetor or mechanic injections and pro charger have always worked fine for me over the years, so I just wanted to continue with that. Pro Modified wasn’t an alternative as the pro charger isn’t allowed in the class. It was Competition or TD as we had the intention to go fast and do heads up racing.

There was a lot of new experiences to make and the next two years became a learning period with no top position in the series. But the year after everything seemed to be in place, which resulted in a third place in TD Series.

-    This year (2013) we have had a new large investment with a better bottom part, larger compressor and lighter car with a new body. And that has made good results. Two wins at Tierp Arena, Runner Up at Pite Dragway and now we’re going for the final race in Malmoe where the TD Cup is arranged. Next year we going to try to take away more weight and continue to race in the Top Doorslammer class.

photo: winner of the Summer Nationals  - Åke Eliasson (left) with runner-up Michael Joneskog at Tierp Arena in july 2013.

Team Eliasson is doing a great job at the track this year (private photo-used by permission).

Text & photo Lena Perés

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #11/2013

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2013