FIA Pro Modified - Michael Gullqvist
Four tracks, four times a five for Michael Gullqvist
For the third consecutive year Michael Gullqvist is the man to beat in the FIA European Pro Modified Championship. The reigning European champion was the only driver to run at least one 5-seconds run on all four tracks so far this season.

With one win out of three finals, leading the championship with a margin of 114 points and two races to go, the Swede is on his way to another FIA European title.

To win a race in the FIA European Pro Modified Championship this year, you have to beat Michael Gullqvist. The reigning champion was the only one to run a five at all four tracks, Santa Pod, Tierp Arena, Alastaro and Hockenheim. Gullqvist won the Main Event, was beaten by Urban Johansson in the Sweden Internationals final, lost to Marc Meihuizen (who won Alastaro) in the semi-final in Finland and was runner-up behind Mattias Wulcan at the NitrOlympX. So to be the fastest doesn’t mean you win all races, but as all the others are far less consistent, Gullqvist has a comfortable lead in the championship.

“The season has been great so far. One win and three finals is okay, although it could have been better. When you run 5.9’s during the weekend, you know the one in the other lane will gamble at the tree. When he pulls a red light, he did what he could and at least tried it, but if he has an almost perfect light, he can be too far away to catch him up, like what happened here at Hockenheim. That happens when you are the favourite and that’s no problem”, said Gullqvist after the NitrOlympX final.

Photo: the slim, great looking Camaro was acquired from the R2B2 team, the team for which Gullqvist won a prestigious wallie in NHRA competition in Atlanta May 2010

We have run in Pro Mod for many years now and won a championship with one of my former cars too. So we already knew how to run a Pro Mod before I went to the States. When I was with the R2B2 team I looked very good at what they were doing and that gave me something extra, call it the finishing touches, but even if I hadn’t been there I think we would be at the same level now. But of course it helped.”

Pro Mod is still the class he likes most as a competitor. “Yes, it’s the most international class with drivers from so many different countries, different cars and I like the way you have to tune a Pro Mod. Pro Mods have more power than a track can handle. You have to take out power and find the perfect set-up with just enough power to go down the track without going up in smoke. That’s always a challenge and I like that.”

Who are his closest rivals? “For the championship Mattias Wulcan of course as Hockenheim was not the first time he beat me. Marc Meihuizen is also very strong, but at the moment still not consistent enough. And Urban Johansson, but he isn’t doing all races, so for the championship he is no threat. But there are more very fast combinations and drivers. You never know what can happen, but 114 points must be enough to win the title again this year. Qualifying and going rounds should be enough, but of course we go for more.”

Gullqvist´s work space

With Tierp Arena and Santa Pod to go, don’t be surprised to see Gullqvist run a five in all six races of this year’s championship.

Micke Gullqvist´s crew members Stefan Petterson and Robin Bergman captured waiting before a run
at the HockenheimRing start area, Gullqvist himself strapped in the car, ready to go

Text by Remco Scheelings
Photos by  Remco Scheelings & Lena Perés
This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #10/2013

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2013