Eurodragster.com Pit Notes
Sweden Internationals Tierp Arena
Thursday June 14th 2012

The layout of the Tierp Arena includes food and sponsors' stands behind the right hand side grandstands and pits to the right of that area.

Super Stock racer Dan Williams was qualified 13th out of 29 with a 10.32 on a A/SA index of 11.00. He said "On the first run we had wheelspin, on the second the car hooked well but it felt like it was unloading from the wheelie bars, so we have lifted the wheelie bars by half an inch to prevent this." The fans are necessary to cool the cars between rounds as the gap between passes is 90 minutes or less.

Super Stock racer Rick McCann said "We like Stock/Super Stock but it doesn't appear to like us." The frustrations came from running a newly refurbished engine too lean. "We are having to use MS109 unleaded fuel and have richened it up after looking at the spark plugs. If it goes a faster speed we will richen it up further. We are miles off what we should be running and a 10-teen would have been our minimum target, but we are below our lowest expectation. But at least it is a tuning issue and the engine is not leaking. We do need to run under the index though." The engine was later found to have suffered a broken pushrod after a best of +0.10 on the index of 10.40.

Stock racer Kjell Gisslar bought his CC/S '68 Camaro from the US in 2009 to replace a B/SA Plymouth Road Runner run since 2007 and a P/S'65 Impala that he ran for 23 years from the mid-80s. He said "We put a new engine and rear end in it." Kjell managed a run in the last session of Thursday recording a new PB in the car of 10.04 on 10.60 index for no. 19 in the field.

Stock racer Tomas Kaakinen who races in the Borlänge Drag Racing Club has a 2011 late model Drag Pak Dodge Challenger supplied by Rausch Racing. The car runs a Dodge Viper V10 engine and Tomas has the CCSA record in his sights, having run a best of 9.61, 0.98 under his index.

Stock racer Lars Björklund is from Söderala and runs G/SA in his 327 Camaro. Best time today was a 11.65, 0.35 under his index.

Stock racer Håkan Nordström was qualified no.1 after the first session with a -1.02 and improved to a -1.07 on a 11.00 index. The A/SA'70 Plymouth Hemi-Cuda runs a 426cu in engine prepared by Dave Schmitz Racing, Don Little heads and Torqueflite gearbox. His personal best ET is 9.87.

Stock racer Uffe Edwardson has a 440cu in 1970 Dodge Challenger with an engine prepared by Dave Schmitz Racing but without Hemi heads which puts the car in B/SA. His 10.24, seven hundredths off his personal best was good for no.2 qualifier as his index is 11.25.

Stock racer Rolf Cederblad was struggling to run under his index in his '74 Pontiac Ventura GTO. His best time was 0.18 under his 12.30 index. The car has a 350cu in engine and has run a best of 11.83.

Stock racer Bo Nyland from Finland is one of four Fords in the 35-car entry.

Pit Vehicle of the Event goes to this mini-truck which has somehow been set up to sound exactly as if a V8 is up front.

Super Stock racer Tarmo Mikkola from Finland was runner up in the NDRS last year in his SS/GA '69 Camaro. The 350 cu in engine car has a McClay prepared gearbox.

Stock racer Timo Eronen from Mäntsälä in Finland runs a '68 Hemi Cuda and improved his PB to an 8.88 today for 0.42 under the 9.30 index.

Stock racer Tomas Westberg runs a 305 cu in Camaro in H/SA. He ran a best of 0.49 under a 12.15 index for 20th place.

Super Stock racer Anders Lindh has a Pontiac GTO with a 428 cu in engine. He had a troubled day with a best of +4.06 on a 10.80 index.

Stock racer Per-Erik Lindgren, like many others in the class has decades of experience and today he was close to his best of 12.70 on an index of 13.15 ni his Chevelle Station Wagon ending with -0.42 on a 13.15 index.

Super Comp racer Jussi Piippolainen from Skutskär runs a turbocharged 598 cu in Camaro with Dart Big M heads, Callies crankshaft, Aeromotive fuel pump and Powerglide trans. His 9.002 time was only good for 20th place by the end of the day.

Super Comp racer Richard Beltramo from Linköping runs this clean Chevelle SS454. He said "I have owned the car since 2007 and ran it in Super Street and Super Gas; this is my first year in Super Comp. It weighs 1650kg and because it's so heavy (all steel except the hood) I have a nitrous system which takes the horesepower from 900 to 1250. My problem is that with the nitrous on there is not enough grip from two metres out and it spins the tyres, so we will reduce the nitrous for the first 60ft. I have run a 9.0009 best."

Pro Stock and Competition Eliminator racer Mats Jacobsson (pictured left) is racing both classes this season. "We don't want to miss either class here. I completed my A/A altered two days ago after buying the chassis over the winter. It's a different ride to the Pro Stock car as it has solid suspension and you can feel the track all the way down. It leaves the line well." The car has a pro stock engine built by Mats and Powerglide. Best ET was 8.20 on a 7.72 index. Mats is pictured with main sponsor Lasse Pedersen of Midland Oil Sweden (second from left).

Mats Jacobsson is racing Pro Stock under the All Tele and Midland banners. "I have had the car for three years and my PB is 6.92. If I do well here I may do the rest of the tour. I have updated a lot in the car with my own engine rebuild and new Liberty gearbox."

Competition Eliminator racer Timo Erhomäki from Finland has occasional Eurodragster.com contributor and English teacher Leena Nyyssönen on the team. She said "We are doing pretty well with an 8.35 best. Timo has raced the car for 24 years and has been in the Street B bracket before running Comp Eliminator." The car has a turbocharged Opel 2.4 litre engine that has run a best of 8.25. The power goes through an AP Racing clutch to a G-Force GF2000 five speed gearbox.

Super Gas racer Håkan Mattsson who owned the Pro Stock car now run by Mats Jacobsson, returned to Super Gas and won the 2011 NDRS championship. He said "We have had a throttle stop problem. We have been using Crew Chief Pro 7.5 software with a weather station to predict the time the throttle stop needs to be on. It is a very complex program and I am learning more about it every day. The only problem is it can't predict 60ft times which is obviously an important parameter, but it is a good baseline program. I won all three main championships, NDRS, SDL and SDS last year and am looking to do well this year."

Competition Eliminator racer Kenneth Feldthusen told us he would like to race in the UK again, but he is finding that having Swedish sponsors means he lacks the funds to travel. He said "Every year we want to go a little quicker. This year we have 6.4s as our target and in 2013 6.3s. We built the car in 1998 but have refreshed a lot of the engine parts with latest Brad Anderson block and heads and Waterman fuel pump. However as we run in AB/A we are not permitted to run a high helix blower so have the traditional roots-type 14-71 supercharger. We have had some problems with the pushrods this event which we fixed and then found no oil pressure, possibly due to air in the system." Nevertheless Kenneth made a series of impressive mid-six second passes with a best of 6.56 being 0.68 under his index.

Competition Eliminator racer Lars 'Jeppe' Jäpler has a new Ford Mustang bought from Swedish racer Roland Bolletter. Lars said "I bought the rolling chassos and put my old 632cu in Gene Fulton engine in with two stage nitrous. I haven't made a full run yet and am aiming for a six second pass this weekend - as our 60ft times are down to 1.05 I am hopeful of achieving that, although we have been struggling with tyre shake and the car drifting to the left." Lars said that Roger Johansson has been mentoring him and advised on tuning after seeing the A/NA car on the live web tv coverage at Kjula Raceway last weekend. Lar's aim for 2013 is to run the SDS Top Doorslammer Series.

Competition Eliminator racer Bjørn Johansen from Trondheim in Norway runs this handsome '96 ZR-1 Corvette in AN/A. He said "I have had the car since 2008 and bought it turnkey from the US following which we checked everything and changed the engine, transmission and rear end. I ran Pro Street in 2010 and 2011 and have joined Comp Eliminator in 2012." Bjørn's engine suffered a snapped intake valve on his first run which was not repairable at the track as it also punched a hole in a piston and the team need to get the parts sent from the US.

Competition Eliminator racer Mathias Stenström has been running his Volvo S90 for four years but has made major changes for this season. Crew chief Christer Johansson explained "We bought the car as a rolling chassis built for a big block engine and auto trans. Mathias converted the chassis to twin rails and then we fitted a BMW M3 six cylinder engine as the easiest way of getting more power was to increase the number of cylinders and I have had experience with BMW engines with my company NLR. The turbo provides 40lb of boost but the RAM clutch has been slipping like mad and we can't get the power to the ground." The Ransta-based team have also replaced the trans with a Liberty one and have put in a Strange rear axle. Best time today was a 7.02, 0.47 under the C/TA index but off the car's best of 6.72/335kph.

Super Street racer Christer Gustafsson is racing the Dodge Challenger run by daughters Jennifer and Jessica in recent years. Christer said "I will be running the EDRS Central division championship with a couple of races in the North and will also run at the Finals. Jennifer will be driving the two seater dragster this year."

Super Street racer Simon Gustafsson who is Christer's nephew is in his third year as a driver but drag racing success is in the genes of the Gustafsson family and he was NDRS champion in 2011. He said "I have been a crew member since 2005. We then bought this Camaro in Florida as a turn-key car and worked on it to get it to run well. This year I have converted to a Jericho stick shift as I enjoy racing a clutch car."

Super Street racer Lina Braathen was qualified no.1 after the first session with a 10.9025. Lina raced in Junior Dragsters until 2010 and then bought her '55 Chevy from Nina Olsson. Lina said "Although it's my second time at Tierp I love running at the small tracks and they have their own atmosphere."

Super Street racer Halvor Överby is a regular visitor to the UK and we last saw him only ten days ago at Santa Pod. He said "I am racing in the Central division and will do a couple of other races including Sunsvall and Drachten."

Super Street racer Mauri Kamppinen from Borlänge races under the title Team MMV and has owned this BBC-engined Chevelle since 1990. He said "It took me ten years to build the car and after running ET brackets this is my second year in Super Street." More pictures of the team are on nostalgipower.se.

Super Street racer Tony Aberg has repainted his Vette orange and races under the banner of Club Corvette Sweden. The car is original with a 540cu in big block, TH350 and 12 bolt rear.

Super Gas racer Annica Larsson of Fordever Racing has an immaculate and rare '63 Ford Falcon Sprint and runs a Ford 351 Windsor stroked to 430 with Dart Eagle heads. As well as EDRS Central Division, she is competing in the Mälardalen Open and Svealands Dragracing Cup in 2012. Crew chief is Lars-Olof Larsson.

Super Gas racer Bosse Hall is a long time competitor in his yellow Ford Anglia 105E, having raced since 1983 and running this car since 1992. The 405cu in Chevy engine has Brodix heads, Powerglide by Brynäs Transmission and Chrisman rear axle. In the second session Bosse moved into no.1 position with a 9.901.

Super Gas racer Anette Birkenes races a car owned by father Jan Birkenes. Jan said "I ran the car between 2002 and 2004 and then sold it and repurchased it in 2011. Anette, aged 17, raced Junior Dragster and graduated this year into Super Gas. The Chevy Nova has a 598cu in Dart engine and heads and TH400 trans. It has run as quick as 7.78 at 280kph so the throttle stop is on for quite a time. For more details see www.birkenes-racing.com.

Super Gas racer Kent Elofsson is from Söderhamn and his Camaro was built by Bad Iron Machine Shop. The engine is 505cu in with Järn block, Pro One Heads, Custom Convertor and JW 400 trans and Dana rear end.

Super Comp racer Tommy Thörnqvist runs a black Chevelle he bought from previous driver, now Crew Chief Nicklas Molvik. Nicklas said "I have had the car since 2002 and have run it in Pro Street with a 7.60 index before running it in Super Comp. The Bertans Race Cars-built car runs a 565cu in Dart engine and Powerglide and Dana 60 rear.

Super Comp racer Fredrik Sandberg runs a Camaro which won the World Street Finals at Orlando in 1993. The Scott Shafiroff-built 555cu in engine has Dart heads and power goes through a Powerglide trans to a Ford nine inch rear end. Fredrik is from Umeå.

Super Comp racer Mikael Nilsson races under the brand MiNi Racing and has this rear engined dragster he built in 2010. The chassis is by Mark Williams with a 582cu in big block engine, Dart Pro II heads, and Hughes Shorty Glide trans. Crewman Jan Rask lists his role as 'Tyre Kicker'. Mikael was no. 3 qualifier after session two.

Super Comp racer Johanna Granholm aged 19 from Sollentuna races a rear engine dragster built by Cressman in 2000 that has run as quick as 7.90 all-out. Racing in the central division Johanna and her team of parents Åke Granholm and Sussie Granholm run as Team Quarter Mile Racing. Johanna was no.2 qualifier after session two.

Super Comp racer Linus Wallberg, who we last saw at Mantorp Park in 2007 when he raced a borrowed Opel Kadett in Super Gas, now races an Opel Ascona. Still only 21, Linus is from Västerås and races with his father Leif crewing. The car, built by Paolo Andreini has the popular Dart engine, this time a 421 small block with Powerglide and Mark Williams nine inch rear.

Super Comp racer Peter Trång races this black 582cu in Firebird and is from Dala-Husby, racing in SHRA Avesta. The car was built by Worthy Racecars in 2001 and uses nitrous.

Super Comp racer Robin Norén runs this ex-Pro Stock Dodge Daytona. The team from Järfälla Automobile Club are putting updates out from the track on Facebook.

Super Comp racer Janne Selinder races a '73 Plymouth Duster and was no.1 qualifier after session two with 8.917. The car was built by Peter Wynn and has an Alson chassis, Chrysler 452cu in engine, Torqueflite 727 gearbox.

Super Comp racer Kristina Hägglund runs this dragster which has a fresh paint job for 2011. More details and Kristina's blog are at www.hagglundracing.se

Super Comp racer Harri Forsten from Pori in Finland runs a slingshot dragster built by Dave Tuttle in 2008. The 565cu in Chevy engine has Dart Big Chief heads, Ross pistons, Simunaglide transmission and Ford nine inch rear.

Super Comp racer Matilda Sjöström-Andersson is a 16 year old graduate from Junior Dragster and runs under the Fast Girls Racing Team banner. Her car was built by Mullis Race Cars in 2002 and runs on E85 Ethanol-based fuel. The ten man team have a number of part time members and Ronny Andersson is crew chief.

Super Comp racer Nina Olsson has stepped up to this 55 Chevy, the same model as her previous car but now with a Tim McAmis tube chassis, 7/8 scale body also by Tim McAmis and 565cu in Reher Morrison engine. More details are at team-55.se.

Friday June 15th 2012

Top Fuel Bike racer Peter Svensson is running under Team Starta racing, the brand which the Kendall Oil distributor for Sweden has adopted. He said after the first run "We drifted to the centre line and hope the track has come around to enable us to go down it. The air is cooler but we are taking power out of it as there is too much." Peter ran a great 5.923/324kph for no.1 place in session 2.

Pro Mod racer Anders Nilsson is running the Plymouth 'Cuda previously campaigned by Eurodragster.com sponsor Graham Ellis. The car runs a Brad Anderson stage 6 with Lenco CS1 trans. The car made it to the pairing lanes but problems prevented a pass in the first session but he ran 6.30/365kph in the second to qualify 12th.

Super Twin racer Ulf Ledström said "This is my first season in Super Twin. All I drag raced before was a Kawasaki H2 street bike but I raced an ice speedway bike for many years." Ulf's new ride is a bike formerly owned by Hans Olav Olstad who has been helping Ulf get up to speed. "I bought it turnkey and have tuned it to make it a little kinder to handle. I am comfortable to ride and learn." Prior to this meeting Ulf's best was 7.4 and he improved in session 2 to 7.32/318kph.

Top Fuel bike racer Peter Andersson Ström who lived close to Mantorp Park, now has to travel six times as far to Tierp. "I have a new Scott Owens gearbox and rear end and the rest of the bike is no big difference." His run in session two was a gentle 7.824, compared to a personal best of 6.78/347kph

Super Twin racer Kari Rajala from Ylistaro in Finland is the co-owner of the KTM Nitroduke R bike ridden last year by other co-owner Jaska Salakari. Jaska said "We are only running one bike here because of a broken crank at the end of last year. We have made some new cranks but they need grinding." Kari has run a best of 6.79 on the bike, and that after running a best of eight seconds previously. "I said to him you own the bike, you must ride it," Jaska finished.

Pro Stock Bike racer and Eurodragster.com blogger Kalle Lyrén was again suffering a loss of sixth gear combined with wheelspin up the track. He ran a 7.22 in the first session and lifted on the second run.

Super Twin racer Martijn de Haas like several competitors has a fondness for soft toys in the inlet pipes. He said "This is our first meeting this year as I hurt my knee before the Main Event and had to withdraw. We have a new PRP engine but dropped a cylinder on the start line. I have changed the tyre from Mickey Thompson to Goodyear and hope that will improve the grip."

Super Twin racer.Torbjörn Svensson has been racing since 1998 and formed his team 38 Top Fuel in 2002. The immaculate body is by Ziggi at HD-service Eichstadt with paint by Johan Ek. The nitro-powered machine has home-made block and Bentec trans and the nitro-fuelled machine has run a new PB of 7.54 in the second session.

Super Twin racer Per Bengtsson (crew member L-O Jonsson pictured) continues to lead the performance of the class with a 6.48/360kph in the second session. L-O said before this run "The bike went right and got close to the centre line in the first session but the 60ft was good so we know we are going in the right direction. The bike could be quicker in the first 100m but after 200m there is so much power. There is a new camshaft and new fuel system and after testing know there is a potential for a new PB speed.

Super Twin racer Janne Gustavsson is on another beautiful bike, this time running on petrol (Super Twins now incorporate Top Gas at UEM events). The bike was built in 2009 and has an S&S 2.6 litre engine, Bandit clutch and Zippers gearbox.

Super Twin racer Samu Kemppainen ran a 6.72 in the first session and 6.89 in the second to go fourth at the end of the day. A couple of good runs and more to come.

Super Twin racer Nate Gagnon on an identically engined machine to Samu is at his first race and he is impressed with the track. He said "We have not made too many changes from the Main Event and have started with a run similar to our best at Santa Pod. The track is smooth but we don't want to smoke the tyre at the hit.

Top Fuel Bike racer Ian King is aiming to start cautiously and step up. His first run was a 6.78 and then improved to a 6.64. He said "We have lowered the wheelie bars as we don't want the rear tyre to unload." The result was slight engine bogging indicating they may have been too low.

Top Methanol Dragster racer Manty Bugeja had some minor issues preventing him from running in the first session and then ran a superb 5.297/428 for the first half of a new ET record. Before the second pass a cautious Charlie Draper said "We learned enough from Norm Grimes which was fantastic - he is brilliant but it was a pity the heads and block were torched on the last run. We are using our spare block while our main one is being welded by a member of Leif Helander's crew. We have backed the new engine off."

Top Methanol dragster racer Krister Johansson suffered a cylinder out at the hit and another from half track in the first session to run 5.72. The team found the problem and the second run was an improvement to 5.52.

Top Methanol dragster racer Chris Polidano ran a first session pass described by Eurodragster.com sponsor Derek Flynn as a "good A to B. We didn't want to be too aggressive and shake and I could mentally hear Jim Rizolli telling me not to." Derek judged it superbly in the second session when a 5.383 was coupled to a 437.96 speed (271.53mph) for a new speed record backed up by his earlier 433kph.

Top Methanol Dragster racer Peter Schöfer is running his first race of the year and ran 5.70 followed by a 5.45 for sixth place in a highly competitive class.

Top Methanol Dragster racer Dennis Habermann was one place above Peter with a best of 5.39 followed by a 5.49 in the second session. Team mate and brother Timo ran a pair of 5.38s for no.3 behind Dave Wilson and Manty Bugeja.

Top Methanol Funny Car racer Danny Bellio made a big performance improvement to a 5.69 in session one. He said "It felt good and was a nice run. We now want to stay in the 5.6s and avoid shake but go faster. A 5.5 is not possible as we have no spare engine. We run the car conservatively and the spark plugs were clean after the 5.69." Danny ran a 5.79 on the next pass.

Pro Stock racer Michael Malmgren said "We have been waiting for this race. We have some new guys on the team and they have a learning curve and we will do better." Michael hit bad shake on both runs and is currently no.12.

Pro Stock racer Jan Palmqvist was delighted with performance improvements. "We have a different setup which gave us the result we wanted straight away. I was one hundredth away from my PB and ran my best 60ft time ever. I have an all new crew who are much easier to teach than my old friends who wanted it their own way!" After 6.79 and 6.83 passes, Jan will put on new tyres for tomorrow.

Pro Stock racer Jimmy Ålund has repaired one of the engines damaged at the Main Event. Crewman Putte said "We are using the no.3 engine and will change it to the number one for the second session and put a 200m test pass on that." Jimmy said that he had to regroup after the new car's setup proved unsuitable for European tracks. "It was the smartest thing to do. We changed things around and then tested last weekend at Kjula and got some good data."

Pro Mod racer Joran Persåker came to the rescue for Super Stock racer Rick McCann by arranging to have a I & E 7.700 pushrod sent up from his shop by DHL. Joran has a, electric powered tow vehicle which his catalogue says runs the quarter in 37s at 42kph terminal speed.

Mikael Lindahl is racing two of the team's three cars this weekend. The Competition Eliminator turbo Corvette pictured ran a 6.51 on a 7.16 index and the Pro Mod Camaro ran a slower 6.67 to go 18th. The third car, a screw blower Top Doorslammer car is not entered...

Super Gas racer Janne Noren from Pori in Finland runs this beautiful Ford 3 window coupe. At the end of session six he was 7th with a 9.949.

Junior Dragster racer Julie Nataas is running in her Batmobile car and father Top Fuel racer Thomas is heading up the team, including Julie's brother Kevin who runs an identical car.

Junior Dragster racer and 2011 NDRS champion Amanda Sjöström-Andersson is the younger sister of Super Comp racer Matilda who we featured in yesterday's pit notes. Amanda also runs under the Fast Girls banner. The car, built in 2008 by Mike Bos Race Cars, has a Blossom Racing Engines Super Rhino II engine.

Junior Dragster racer Kevin Yrjövaara from Habo in Sweden is in his second year of racing at the age of 14. Parents Olle and Jessica head up the crew and the car has a McGee engine.

Junior Dragster racer Marcus Back Andersson has a Mike Bos built car with Craw's Racing engine. Aged 16, he has been racing since 2005.

Junior Dragster racer Hampus Staflund, son of Top Methanol Funny Car racer Jonas Staflund, is qualified 4th after six sessions and runs a car built in 1998 by Mckinley.

Junior Dragster racer Fredrik Leanders is qualified 3rd with a reaction of 0.0044 and races a dragster with a B&S engine.

Competition Eliminator racer Krister Adeen runs a Volvo S70 in C/TA and his index is 7.50. He said "We have been running 6.8s in the car since Finland last year. I built the car in 2002 and it was originally a turbo street car. But I wanted to go faster and faster and I never thought I would get this quick." Krister has given up his Volvo stock block for a specially prepared rallycross engine for 2011 with an 88cm turbo with Leanders clutch and Liberty gearbox. The chassis was built by ME-Racingservice.

Competition Eliminator racer Marcus Linde races with brother Olaf as crew chief and has a 106mm turbo in front of his big block engine. Transmission is Liberty five speed and Marcus races in Top Doorslammer, the only German competitor in that series. An 8.29 on a 7.39 index signalled engine problems for the team. More details about the car are at pro-tune.eu.

Competition Eliminator racer Torben Stenström has made a return to racing after a couple of years out and was quick to thank his cousin Tony Westman, born and bred in Tierp, whose company Riv und Scanering AB is sponsoring him this weekend. "I would like to sell the car but have not done a deal just yet. Tony has arranged a bus for 25 employees to visit the race and be entertained by us and because of the local connection, we are in all the newspapers and their posters." Torben is running the car as before and has achieved 8.06. "I want a seven this weekend and with my new body and wider tyres I expect to run 7.6s."

Competition Eliminator racer Per Erik Lindgren from Piteå has full time truck mechanic Mary-Sissel Eilertsen as crew chief. Per Erik has been racing in the category for 25 years and is a master of choosing a class where the index can be run well under, this time in C/BA. He said "We are running with some lead on the rear to get the car to react better and go quicker to 60ft. I went 0.83 under in qualifying but could remove weight and also increase overdrive from 19% to 25% which would make the car run 1.1s under the index if there was no handling problem. But we don't want to hurt the index in eliminations and I would prefer to win on getting a better light." Mats Jacobsson is running an altered previously campaigned by Per Erik.

Competition Eliminator racer Martin Petersson, aged 20, runs his ex-Bob Glidden Ford Probe in C/A. He said "It's my second season in Competition; I bought the car as a roller and have put a 500cu in Bob Ingles engine in with a Cohen auto box." Martin is qualified 12th with a 0.56-under 7.40s pass, a new PB. Future plans are for a debut in Pro Stock later this season in Jimmy Ålund's multi-championship winning GTO, with major sponsors Valvoline continuing their support.

Competition Eliminator racer Jens Zimmerman from Germany is at Tierp for the first time. He said "It's an amazing facility, unbelievable. The car is running well but we need a couple more tenths off the ET, but the track is perfect." The car's 7.30 is 0.15s under his 7.45 index for A/NA.

Competition Eliminator racer Lars-Georg Johansson runs his Camaro in BB/A and built the car himself from 2006 and bought a Bob Pannella small block engine with 326cu in and a 10-71 supercharger with 18% underdriven. He said "AS it's only our second year in Comp we are taking small steps and don't want to hurt it. We ran a 7.52 yesterday and hope to run 7.2-7.3 this event.

Pro Stock bike racers Fredrik Fredlund and Kenneth Vik were happy after the first qualifying session when they finished no.2 and no.3 respectively with times in the 7.2s zone. Kenneth who is running under the Hawgs Racing banner has worked on his Suzuki engined machine over the winter to improve the performance and get back to the seven-teens or better.

Top Methanol Dragster racer Dave Wilson was relaxed before his first qualifying pass having driven up from the UK between Monday and Wednesday. He ran a strong 5.36/428kph (265mph) to go no.1 after the first session.

Pro Stock racer Christian Sagelv said "My father started racing in 1974 and I have been to many race tracks around the world before I earned by license in 1995. I ran Competition Eliminator for twelve years and am now living the dream by running Pro Stock." The car is owned by Äge Kristofferson from Norway and is the only Ford Pro Stock in Europe so we are getting some factory support from Ford as well as main sponsors Gulf and MSD. We tested four weeks ago and whilst the track was diffcult, we got some valuable information. As it's our first season we will watch and learn and hopefully qualify." Christian is helped by Christer Säfström who built the engine, the only wholly Swedish-built engine in the class.

The race control, media tower dominates the startline area and provides a suitable backcloth for racers as they prepare to go down the Tierp Quarter.

Saturday June 16th 2012

Top Fuel racer Chris Andrews warms up his engine for today's qualifying. He plans a run to 330ft in the first session and a full pass in the second session.

Top Fuel Racer Chris Andrews said after a 4.51/329kph run yesterday "It was a good day and the car felt good. It shook at about 80ft out and I kept on it to 660ft. There was an issue with the fuel pump we had to resolve and we decided to miss session two as we wanted to make sure there would not be a problem going down the track. We have had to try to solve it using data analysis."

Top Fuel racer Anita Mäkelä had a difficult day when a rod broke on the first run, causing a fireball out of the engine, and a blower belt snapped half a second into the second run. She said "We haven't torn the engine down but there is some damage. We put in our spare engine in and now need to make a baseline run. It was disappointing but there is always a new day."

Top Fuel racer Håkan Fallström ran a best of 4.24/387kph in the morning to go 2nd yesterday. Crewman Dennis Glanby said "We were really pleased to run like that off the trailer. We tested in Norway two weeks ago and made a small burnout and had some things with the electrics to sort out. The problem was the chutes didn't deploy and the car went into the sand trap. We had to clean it up and take it apart. There were no mechanical problems apart from losing a valve. Håkan said "I'm enjoying it greatly. I clicked off the run early." Håkan's team has Peter Lantz as tuner.

Top Fuel racer Janne Ahonen whose crew chief is Simo Patoharju (pictured right) is joined by US tuner Donnie Bender and Jarmo Pulkkinen of Jarmo's Custom Auto. Donnie was tuner on Brandon Benstein's Top Fuel team in 2011 and Jarmo supplies parts and was a contact in the deal to buy the car. Simo said "On the first run it was an A to B baseline run although it shook a little. On the second there was a system malfunction and the tyres went up in smoke and there was some minor damage. The maintenance has been routine but most of the team are new to Top Fuel racing and I am really pleased with them. We had to get a few extra parts and tools and then tested a month ago. We have two short blocks which we hope will be sufficient for the season."

Top Fuel racer Timo Lehtimäki is unable to run due to a technical issue with his rear wing. Crew chief Ulf Hultholm said "The rules say that the rear wing has to be recertified at the manufacturer which would involve airfreighting it to the US. We had been to eight races and two test runs with it, and US teams have to run their cars 4-5 times more. Our spare wing had hardly been used since it was last recertified." There is a meeting of the Rules Group of the FIA Drag Racing Commission on Monday to cover issues that might be recommended for change. In the meantime Ulf is hoping the team can find enough funds to get the wing certified before the Alastaro round.

Top Fuel racer Antti Hortto had a good day, making two passes and not hurting any parts. Crewman Tony Pearson said "The car was dropping cylinders at the top end but is getting better. Antti's equipment is very good as the car is rented from Rune Fjeld and has a good record."

Top Fuel racer Risto Poutiainen suffered a bruised rib on his final pass at the Main Event, but is now recovered. He said "Unfortunately there was damage from going up in smoke. We expected the track to be super but although it is smooth, it couldn't take all the power that we gave it. We tried to drive through it and the high rpm damaged the valve train and blackened the crank. We took it easy getting the car ready and missed the second session." Risto is under no pressure with qualifying as there are eight cars with qualifying pass and three missing.

Top Fuel racer Jari Halinen ran a good 4.22/381kph for no.1 qulifier yesterday but suffered a problem with the blower belt on firing up which meant an aborted run.

Pro Mod Johan Lindberg was working on brother Jonnie's TMFC when we arrived at the pit. He said "We have three crew members for each car and Jonnie and I can alternate between the two. On my 6.13 pass I had to pedal once, otherwise it was pretty good. My main priority this season is to take back the gold, but it is hard work running two cars. If we run out of time the Pro Mod will get priority over the TMFC as this is a learning year for Jonnie."

Pro Mod racer Patrik Wikström is no.17 with a 6.72. He said "I want to qualify but don't have a target time. There is a lot of tuning work to do and we are taking it easy, one step at a time. The problem here has been the chassis; the car was going left and we have had to adjust the rear end which hopefully will cure it." Patrik contoinues to build Boss superchargers for customers.

Pro Mod racer Mats Eriksson ran a 6.32 on his only pass yesterday as son Ludwig Perés was graduating. He said "It was a tyre shake filled run and I had to drive like crazy to get to the other end." Mats said that not attending the Main Event for the first time in many years was a hard decision but the only possible one. "I love the English fans, racers and crew so it felt bad. But at September I felt the last 100m and run-off area were more bumpy than before; my car is set up stiff and it was bottoming out so I have had to get different shocks and springs to avoid problems, so hope to be back in September if I do well." Mats is also racing the Swedish Pro Mod championship making for a busy racing season.

Mats Eriksson has a new body to save weight with carbon doors and roof. The fibreglass front end has a paint job by Ray Hill who painted Freddie Fagerström's car. Ray has applied his distinctive style to the hood using paint with actual rust particles in it. Mats said "There are now two Goblins and the other complete car is a show car that can be fired up."

Top Methanol Funny Car racer Ulf Leanders (pictured left with Freddie Fagerström) was happy with a 5.70 and 5.64, but thought the car could do better. "The traction here is average but the race surface is very smooth which means you can apply the same amount of power down the track and be sure that all the wheels are on the ground and no freewheeling or revs jumping between 9 and 10 thousand down the track. We want a 5.50 this weekend."

Top Methanol Funny Car racer Jarmo Kuutniemi is ill and can't attend. So the teams are displaying these stickers and we are sure our readers will join us in wishing Japa a speedy recovery.

Pro Mod racer Marco Maurischat said he has replaced all the damaged parts from last year. "The season was quite bad for us as we broke two rods at the Main Event and also at Tierp. In the off season we repaired both the blocks and the heads. So engine wise we are fine and the current one is powerful. But the handling is no longer what it should be and we have to figure it out. We have had tyre shake in 2nd gear and have changed the suspension and shocks. My business commitments prevented me attending the Main Event so I have to treat this weekend as a test session."

Pro Mod racer David Vegter ran a 9.64 and 6.75, good for only 20th in qualifying. He said "We underestimated the track and were not putting enough power down and it shook so we had to lift on both runs. Mechanically the car is fine and we will put in a new clutch and change the ignition settings to make more power and hope I can make a good run."

Pro Mod racer Micke Gullqvist ran a 5.94 in Pro Mod to go no.1 and first half of a new European ET record. He said "We are testing with new rear shocks and are at the early stages finding out what they can do although I feel we are not having success yet. If we can't find out a good setting with the data we are getting I will go back to the old ones. These new ones enable us to deal better with different track conditions." Micke talked about the FIA Rules Group and said it includes two racers from each class as well as tech people and representatives from the FIA Drag Racing Commission.

Sunday June 17th 2012

Pro Mod racer Martin Lundkvist qualified no.8 with a 6.18/387kph in his turbocharged '68 Camaro and went one round in eliminations defeating Marc Meihuizen with a holeshot 6.34. He said "I'm glad I got down the track in the second session with the bad weather. So far the season has been tough, we are trying to get to run fast and made a lot of changes, now we are back to the settings for our 6.08/250mph run earlier in the year. We are trying to only make small steps since we started in 2011." Martin said the team built the car and relies on its own expertise to tune it, although they get clutch advice from the US. There is a special technique to launch the car because you have to get the boost at the right level at the hit." The turbo Pro Mods have a three step control, one for pre-stage and one for stage. "We are keeping it straight and are working on going more quickly to the 330' by adjusting the clutch."

Pro Stock Bike racer Martin Bishop was delighted with a PB 7.28 in qualifying and 7.30 bye round one against a no-show Kenneth Vik. He said "There is more to come, on the 7.28 the 60ft could have been better and the bike went from fourth straight into sixth gear. We did a lot of work over winter and were just settling it in at the Main Event. We knew we had power and were confident to run big numbers but we didn't think it would happen that quickly."

Pro Stock Bike racer and Eurodragster.com blogger Kalle Lyrén had a problem with the bike refusing to shift into sixth gear. He said "We changed engine and gearbox from our backup to our no.1 engine which we have not run on the track yet. I am looking forward to racing my team-mate Elvira Karlsson in round one, she now has a new 1755cc engine and we will need to go for the finish line."

Pro Stock Bike racer Fredrik Fredlund was joined by Karen and Gary Stoffer. Karen, a regular on the NHRA circuit, said "This is my first time to Europe and everyone is very nice. The level of passion in the sport is the same but there is more of a party atmosphere and the activities are unrestricted. We went to Motospeed when we arrived and have been here since." Fredrik said "We can't count on an easy win against Timo Savolainen and have been struggling with getting information on our Race Pak; we only got one run's worth of data. I trust in my hard working team and are proud to have them on board." The gremlins bit in round one as Fredrik's bike cut out on the launch.

Top Methanol Funny Car racer Jürgen Nagel (pictured right) and crew chief Frank Schwimmer are at their first race this year. Jürgen said before round one "We made two checkout passes to test our new carbon fibre brakes and new ignition system so didn't get a representative time. I am against Ulf Leanders but will try our best. We are ready and the car is ready to go down the track. Our racing schdule depends on how we do at Hockenheim as there is a small gap before the August Tierp event." Jürgen was gifted the win when Ulf couldn't find reverse.

Top Fuel Bike racer Lars Lagerhof was also on a bye run into round two when Peter Andersson-Ström withdrew. He said "We are pleased to have qualified third ahead of Rickard. We will meet Peter Svensson in the semi final. We don't know how the track is and if it is too cold it could be to our advantage. We will aim to run a 6.5 and will see how we do."

Super Twin racer Christian Jäger was quietly confident ahead of a first round match with Job Heezen. He said "We have only had small problems, normal race problems. Everything is working very well and I hope to do better this race."

Super Twin racer Job Heezen was also confident in the Netherlands v Germany match-up reflecting the Euro 2012 competition. Vincent Pels said "We have had problems with rod bearings we have tried to overcome. We have gone back to the settings for last year at Hockenheim and the Finals where we were flowing less fuel through the engine. We were worried about the amount of fuel going through our new engine and have gone back to what we know. On our first qualifying pass we had soft settings and checked the rod bearings were ok, the second pass would have been a 6.7 or 6.8 but Job saw the low oil pressure light and shut off."

Super Twin racer Per Bengtsson was delighted to qualify no.1 with a 6.48. He said "I think we found a good combination in running three weeks ago with more power. It seems to like us producing a lot of power and also using a lot of clutch. This track will be good for drag racing in Scandinavia and we can see the effect on the quantity and quality of entrants." Per said he will only run events at Tierp to improve in consistent conditions.

Super Twin racer Matti Vähäsaari had fuel issues with most fuel going to the back cylinder resulting in the front cylinder leaning out and causing damage to the piston and head. His best ET was 7.87 for eleventh.

Super Twin racer Joachim 'Acka' Riemer also had problems and finished in ninth qualifying place. He said "We had a broken crankshaft and Dyna ignition box which caused other problems. On the second qualifier the bike looked good but sounded bad so shut it off early which was wise because I would have damaged it. We changed the systems and found that worked and the bike was doing what it should have done. It is difficult for everyone not havin enough practice runs but we are working for ourselves and just want to concentrate on having a good time and going well."

Super Twin racer Samu Kemppainen looked forward to a first round match-up again Jan Sturla Hegre. "We have both run the same ETs but I spun the tyre on the second session and have gone back to the old setup. It's Jan Sturla's best time with a new motor so it should be good."

Pro Mod racer Marc Meihuizen said after the holeshot defeat to Martin Lundkvist "I was surprised that the turbo car was so quick to stage. I thought he needed lots of staging time so he took me at the tree. It was my own mistake but at least the car went well."

Pro Mod racer Urban Johansson won the first two rounds but damage in the second round win against Ola Dahlblom meant that he couldn't make the call for the semi-final. He said earlier "We had too little power in and too much clutch in round one; we can do better in the first 100m of the track. Ola has done very well to run 6.07; he was on my crew and has clearly learned a lot from me!"

Top Alcohol Funny Car racer Steve Harker sold his car to Leif Andréasson. He said "It's great to be in Europe and this is a fantastic facility, this would impress any US racer." Steve was brought up in Australia and raced there in the 1980s, winning the Top Fuel Bike championship. He changed to alcohol funny cars in 1990 and started racing in the US in 1998-9, starting by doing six races a year while living in Australia. "I sold my business in 2004 and spent six years racing exclusively in the US and had a top five finish every year and was second in 2008 and 2009. In 2010 I met Leif when he was racing in the US and wanted to cut down so I decided to sell my car to him. He has really got it under his belt and his times here are close to my best of 5.52/261 although he has upgraded the engine to Stage 8 heads and 60mm cam since I ran it." Steve is joined by his wife and team member Jenelle.

Top Methanol Funny Car racer Leif Andreasson (pictured right) was having some trouble getting through to Keith Bartlett (pictured left) on the phone on a busy Sunday morning before the rains came. Leif said "I have two crews, one at Tierp Arena and the other on my car. They work so hard, it's unbelievable. I have been racing for 27 years and never understood how hard the guys work behind the scenes from the guy on the gate to the people at the top end. It's the same with the car crew, Keith (now 22) has been with me since he was 14 and Frank has worked on the team since 1996. Our plans for Tierp Arena are wide ranging with a circuit race planned for September, drifting, 4th July celebration and a huge show for farm and garden equipment. We want to put on 20 events a season and four of these will be big drag races."

Pro Mod racer Robert Joosten was qualified and has Freddie Fagerström in the first round. He said "We are still working on the car and had some problems with shake in the last qualifying pass. We have changed some things and hope we can go through. In reality we are racing ourselves and we have more knowledge about the car on each run."

Pro Mod racer Fredrik Lundh is qualified fifteenth with a personal best of 6.45 (before this event 6.57). He said "We are testing a new lean out timing device which retards the ignition in the first second of the run and it is working well. This is our first Pro Mod race - I have run Top Doorslammer but we think quarter mile racing is best for us, so we will be running Pro Mod in the EDRS and at Tierp FIA events." Thanks to crewman Daniel Larsson for interpretation.

Pro Mod racer Ola Dahlblom was also pleased to qualify and he had impressive times of 6.17 and 6.25 on Friday. He said "We have had the car for four years and this is my second year in Pro Mod. We plan to run both Pro Mod and Top Doorslammer." Ola races a '63 Corvette supplied by Tim McAmis with a 521cu in blower engine.

Pro Mod racer Anders Nilsson ran a best of 6.30 to qualify 12th. This puts him against Bruno Bader in round one. The car was previously owned by Eurodragster.com sponsor Graham Ellis. He said after a red-light in the first round "The starter wasn't quick enough! A 6.3 was a great time and our goal was to qualify so I guess it was a successful weekend but we want to try to improve." Anders will be running events at Tierp only.

Pro Mod racer Micke Johansson runs this beautiful '70 Challenger and finished 21st of 26 runners with a 6.84. The car was built by Bertans Race Cars with a carbon fibre body, a supercharged Brad Andersen series 6 engine, Crower Clutch and Lenco CS1 gearbox.

This Gulf-sponsored '32 hot rod owned by Goräran Pihl is not on the entry list, but we could not resist it. The engine is a supercharged 545cu in Ford with Powerglide transmission. The car was at Kjula last weekend which you may have seen on the live webcast.

Pro Mod racer Jari Paren from Kuusankoski in Finland failed to qualify after two attempts at burnouts. He said "The weekend didn't go well because of problems before we ran, firstly a broken throttle cable and then a leak from the water pump. We will race at Alastaro and back here in August."

Pro Mod racer Niclas Andersson said "We shook the tyres in session one and did a safe 6.20 pass in the second session which was important with the weather getting worse. It is a fast car and capable of a 6.0 or a high 5 second pass. Our plans this year only to run a couple of Top Doorslammer meetings and to do all the EDRS and Swedish FIA rounds." Niclas is qualified eleventh and races Jan Gunnarson in round one.

Pro Mod racer Johan Samuelsson went 8.46 for no.24 position. He said "We have had some small issues with an ignition trigger problem, but think we have solved that so should be prepared for the next race. We will race Top Doorslammer and be back here in August and hope weather conditions are better. Sadly we can't do Finland as getting time off and paying for travel is difficult. We need more runs and information to tune the car; we have run a best of 6.55 but know it can go quicker. The ignition trigger is a device to avoid misfiring and damage to the engine and gearbox going down track and we have an MSD ignition and Autronic fuel system that the trigger works between."

Pro Mod racer Freddie Fagerström has modified his colour scheme with even more rust coloured areas as before. Performance-wise, he astonished with a 6.13 in session one and new PB 6.04 in session two for qualifying no.3. The new bests have already been updated in the European Drag Racing Database.

Car restorer Jan Johansson is here with two superb examples of his work from the 1970s. This Monza was built by John Butterra (his second last car before the 1978 Prudhomme Army car) and campaigned in the US by Pisano & Matsubara with Jake Johnston driving. It was imported into Sweden by Lee Anders Hasselström and campaigned as Flygvapnet with the same body and then with a Datsun body. Jan said "I have a spare Monza body which I will be restoring in Flygvapnet colours and the original Datsun body. The car can be fired up and do a burnout.

The two restored funny cars of Jan Johansson are displayed together with a stall selling the latest history book oon Swedish drag racing, Legend and History. On the web, more about the history of the sport in Sweden is here. Pictures of the restored Funny Cars are courtesy of and © Lee Child.

The Opel Manta funny car was originally owned by Jungle Jim Liberman and won the 1975 NHRA Summernationals as a Chevy Vega. It was then imported into Sweden by Bjorn Andersson and Tage Hammermen and campaigned in these colours in 1976-7; in 1976 had the distinction of being the first Swedish-owned Funny Car in the sixes with a 6.92 at Santa Pod driven by John Andersson. It was then sold to Tommy Svensson in 1978 being campaigned as Blue Swede on methanol and then being sold to Werner Habermann who owned it from 1979 to 2007. Jan has restored it to its 1976 colours. He also has the Vega body restored in Jungle Jim colours and, having spoken to Jungle Pam, hopes to take both cars to Bakersfield in 2013.

Fredrik Lundh's Pro Modified was in the pairing lanes on Friday. As we post this, the crew are hard at work drying the track so, with a curfew extended to 10pm, we are hopeful of some racing today.

Editor Simon Groves
Reports and pictures ©Eurodragster.com