Anita Mäkelä
Top Fuel Dragster
Anita and husband Tommie Haapanen and their team has been among the top contenders in European Top Fuel  Racing for years. A great ambassador for the sport and popular among the fans, Anita always has a moment to spare for a chat and autograph. We asked Anita what she and the team have been up to and how she look at the upcoming season..
Anita´s winter

Anita´s winter has been long. The cold spring made it feel like the summer would skip this year totally. But the calendar shows, Main Event is getting closer and closer.

Previous years we have visited The Eastern Thunderball races and they have been our test and tune weekends before the FIA season starts. This year, however, the Easter was so early, we believed the weather couldn´t be at its best. So our aim was to test at Tierp in mid May. Unfortunately, Tierp didn´t accept any Top Fuels testing. This meant we start our season now at Main Event.

To describe the coming season, I would say shortly; business as usual. No major changes. Sami Lehtimäki, our Crew Chief, runs our team with the same, familiar faces. The car has no major changes, either. Of course some maintenance and updating has been done. And I have followed my exercise program very closely, so I´m stronger than ever!

Tommi & Anita

The biggest investment was a brand new clutch grinder, which was deliveried by Boninfante Enterprises with the clutch discs. (I just wonder, what Lindsey from Rune´s team will say…) I have to give a special thanks to Mr Nicky Boninfante for their good and helpful service. And let´s hope, if one day I could host Nicky here in European races. By the way, I´m a huge fan of Jeff Arend´s DHL team nowadays.

Tommi & Anita Top Fuel Racing will do all the FIA events. My last days have included bookings of the ferry and flight tickets. Of course cleaning the rigs, washing team uniforms and chutes, loading things and kitchen stuff and over all; just to get ready for the coming races. So see you soon at the Pod!

Doing the laundry - Anita dries her chutes and prepare for the season

Anita at the Main Event 2011

Text: Anita Mäkelä with introduction by Åsa Kinnemar
Photos: Anita and Remco Scheelings
This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #4/2012
www.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Used by permission 
© Speedgroup 2012