Michael Maderer, two EDRS titles but no car 

To say Michael Maderer had a roller coaster season is an understatement. The German EDRS European Drag Racing Series competitor did nine races, won the EDRS Division South Championship in Pro ET and Super Street Car, but ended the season without a car, as his unique BMW E30 Touring was destroyed in a racing accident in Zerbst.

Michael Maderer lives together with girlfriend Linda and their daughter Isabell in the small city of Huckstorf near Rostock in the North of Germany. The now 41 years old dragracer got involved in drag racing in 2004. "A friend asked me to come to a race at an airfield in Germany. I raced my BMW M3 over there and it was so much fun I was hooked. The next two years I raced with a large 6 cylinder BMW engine with NOS. In the winter of 2006 I started to rebuilt the BMW E30 Touring drag racing car according to all official regulations. Under the hood is a Chevy 383 cui small block and depending on the nitrous oxide setting, it produces 500 to 700 bhp. The car was ready in time for the 2007 season", Maderer looks back to where it all began.

The combination proved to be consistent and in 2011 Maderer won the official Dutch Drag Racing Championship in Super Street Car and was number one in the Drag Racing Masters in Germany. But 2012 was even far more successful. "The initiative to start the EDRS European Drag Racing Series was great. We had a new goal to work to and it was the reason for us to race in Scandinavian countries too. I like to learn new racetracks and countries and although we had to travel a lot, we did nine races in 2012 and were at Hockenheim Germany, Drachten Holland, Borlänge Sweden and Gardermoen Norway.

I have to thank my crew Sebastian the mechanic, and Mario who drives the van and trailer. They spend so much of their time and holidays for the racing. Really great and I couldn't do it without them. Gardermoen was the best race-weekend as we were in the final of Pro ET and Super Street Car", Maderer looks back. As a result Maderer was EDRS Division South champion in Pro ET and Super Street Car, winner of the German Drag Racing Masters again en runner-up in the eXplosion (Dutch) club championship in Pro ET and Super Street Car.

But still the 2012 season ended in a bad way. In September in Zerbst, Germany, Maderer was involved in a heavy crash and the unique BMW was damaged beyond repair. "The one in the other lane had engine problems, got oil under his tyres, went sideways and hit me at the front wheel. It all happened after the finish line and the car rolled four times. All safety devices worked perfectly so I could get out unharmed, but there was not so much left of the BMW." Or course the crash was a major setback but also the reason for an early start of the next project. "The body will be a BMW 850, the chassis a double frame rail and the engine a Chevy big block. We want to be back in 2014 and run in Super Pro ET, Super Comp or Competition. I want to learn new tracks again, like Tierp Arena for example and hope more drivers will join the EDRS Division South", Maderer is already looking forward to the seasons to come.

Michael Maderer leaving the startline.

Text Remco Scheelings
Photos: Remco Scheelings & Lena Perés

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #15/2012

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2012