Champion in the Spotlight: Nate Gagnon
The UEM Super Twin Bike champion 2012 for the first time ever was not from within Europe. Nate Gagnon and the Big Kids Racing crew came all the way from Canada to compete in the worlds highest ranked championship for  super twins. And they impressed by running consistent from day one and by giving their best under all circumstances.. Speedgroups Åsa Kinnemar got in touch with Gagnon to wrap up the past season and to look ahead.. 
ÅK: Now with the FIA European Finals a few months behind us, how do you feel about the season 2012? Any highlights or mishaps in particular you come to think about?

NG: - The season for us was a lot of fun mixed with little sleep, plenty of beer and many nitro soaked eye balls. Highlights and mishaps are what drag racing is truly about. Off course my 2 weeks in Finland this year I would have hoped to run better and maybe stay away from the wall. Also getting a chance to run Tierp twice in one season was a treat as well and to win a championship in Santa Pod was great too. The whole trip is unforgettable. Thanks to everyone we met through our adventure and we appreciate the hospitality.

ÅK: What are you up to over the winter period? 

NG: Plans for the winter include a lot of work. One project we have running now is a second bike which we hope to bring out for testing next season. Nothing too radical although truly reliable obviously another V60 package as well.

photo: Gagnon teamed up with Samu Kemppainen (left) and was assisted by ex-rider Ian Turburville (center)

ÅK: What can you can tell us about your plans for the 2013 season.. may we hope for a return of Big Kids Racing to Europe?

NG: I would love to be able to say I will be back for the complete season for 2013 but at this point with only a 4 race series i don’t see it realistic. I do hope to have a chance to run at select races in Europe for 2013 dependant on schedule, sponsor, Series schedules and work responsabilties. At this point it is not out of the plans. Maybe there will be a championship payout in 2013 that might entice us. 
Anyway we had a great time and look forward to the next time we get to run PER in the finals!

Nate with fellow competitor Jan Sturla Hegré from Norway

Lenas award winning photo of Gagnon´s one of a kind burnout from Alastaro Finland july 2012

Nate Gagnon in the winner circle at Tierp Arena, where Per Bengtsson stood as winner of the event.

Text: Åsa Kinnemar based on an interview with Nate Gagnon
Photos: Lena Perés and Patrik Jacobsson

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #15/2012

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2012