Nate Gagnon - Top Fuel Bike 
Canadian rider Nate Gagnon of team Big Kids Racing made an appearance at the UEM Drag Bike championship round #1 in Hungary. At the beginning of august he will return for the race at Gardermoen in Norway and after that the NitrOlympx in Hockenheim Germany.     

We asked Nate to introduce himself in his own words to the European and overseas readers and followers of the UEM Drag Bike Championship:

SG: First of all, can you tell us some back ground info on what your career and involvement in the Canadian Drag Bike series have looked like the recent years up until this point?

NG: I started racing about 5 years ago in SuperGas a 9.90 index class on my homebuilt shovelhead. Finished 3rd in my rookie season and was hooked.

That winter I sold my Supergas bike and bought my first TF bike. (Actually Samu's bike,the bike I rode in Hungary with less upgrades) Since that bike I have been lucky enough to have the assistance of Legendary Nitro Bike Builder and Rider Ron Houniet. With his help and teachings throughout the past 4 years, I'm at a point with my new bike running consistance 6's at over 210mph and up into the 225+mph range. So far this year we have won 2 of the 3 events with the CMDRA(Canadian Motorcyle Drag Race Association) giving us a good points lead towards a Championship season.  We will be running 1 more CMDRA event before Norway and 2 after Germany to try and keep that lead.

SG: How come you decided to take part and race in Europe?

NG: I tried to make that happen last year as well, but the cards fell through.  This year my friend Samu Kempainnen asked Ron and I to come and give him and Petri Maatson a hand with the Nitro V60 Bike and motor sold to them over the winter. Samu  also offered his(and my) old bike for me to ride while I was there. I guess it's just snowballed from there.   Great people, great racing, great fans, Super Event organization from Speedgroup, UEM and all involved.  If I can find  the right sponsor I would like to do all the UEM events next year :)

SG: To recap a bit, can you recall and summarize your first and so far only event in the UEM European Drag Bike Championship?

NG: Well the bike wasn't running so well, we had just installed a fuel system and there were some bugs to work out there. The event was much better than I had been made to expect. At first the track looked rough.  As seen by the nice work done by Ian King and crew to run a 6.50 and to Jan Sturla Hegre for riding that snake to a number,  by the end of the weekend it had come together nicely.  Great job by Joseph the event organizer, this event and track  should have a chance to grow.

photo: Mark Duthie/nextlevel media  

Nate made an appearance during round #1 of the championship in Hungary riding Samu Kemppainen´s bike. Photo by Ivan Sansom

SG: You mention that you will bring a V60 bike from Canada, anything further you can share on that subject?

NG:  Yeah, It's all part of the "Nitro V60 European Invasion"

SG: So how do you prepare for the forthcoming trip to Norway  and the race at Gardermoen ?

NG: Between events I spend as much time as I can with my wife Genevieve and my 3 1/2 year old daughter Ciel. I"ve been on the road alot already this year and anytime I can get with them is most important, they've been very patient with me and my dreams. Then of course, work, bike maintence, ordering parts, packing, shipping, budweiser .. Sleep and food in there somewhere. Did I mention Clutch grinding?

SG: Will you be bringing any crew members to Europe and will you once again team up with Samu Kemppainen and Skull Racing?

NG: Yes, it will be Ron and myself, he will be tuning and I will be riding. We will be pitting out of Samu's Skull Racing pits for sure. Samu and I have a great friendship and their pits are just like home. Ina and the girls take great care of the crew, Thanks ladies.

SG: Not knowing so much about the tracks you are about to race at, can you anyway tell me some about what do you hope for performancewise ?

NG: I'm never the most prepared for a track before I get there. Most know they vary from event to event. Here in Canada we have only a handful of tracks that can take any real power and they also have there off weekends.  We just came back from a track in Canada where the cracks have grass growing from them.  Although we have heard that Gardermoen and Hockehiem are excellent tracks, alot goes into prep and weather has alot to do with that. Usually we are not too worried about track surface until we see it.  As for performance the bike I plan on bringing has seen multiple 6.40's and 6.50's at over 220mph. We will wait for to see what the track can handle. Consistancy is key.

Big Kids Racing ? - Nate Gagnon staging in at a national race in Canada

Interview with Nate Gagnon by Åsa Kinnemar for Speedgroup
Photos: photo: Mark Duthie/nextlevel media  and Ivan Sansom
Riders portrait bySpeedgroup
This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #11/2011
www.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Used by permission from the photographers
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
email: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2011