Sportsman driver in the Spotlight:
PAIGE WHEELER  
Junior Dragster
You just can’t tell what life has in store…

When the Wheeler family – Andy and Dionne, newly settled in Wellingborough with young daughters Paige and Belle – decided to spend the day at a local visitor attraction, they never dreamt where it would lead.
The local attraction was Santa Pod Raceway, and elder daughter Paige, then eight, liked what she saw, so much so that she badgered her parents to go back for more. Despite having no interest or background in motorsport, Andy and Dionne relented. Before they knew it, Paige was entreating them to buy her a tuition session in Santa Pod’s Junior Dragster and, soon enough, the birthday treat came her way.

The trouble with such gifts is, they don’t always satisfy the appetite. Sometimes they merely whet it. And so it came to pass, late in 2009, that Andy Wheeler – who had never once imagined himself a race team boss – found himself proud owner of a Junior Dragster and all that accompanies it, and nervous father to a precious daughter risking life and limb at the controls.

As an Alamo Rent A Car executive, Andy felt the company would be a fine choice as a marketing partner, and the company agreed. While Paige began learning the competitive ropes on-track during 2010, Alamo initiated sponsorship arrangements with Santa Pod and Eurodragster.com and launched a programme of increasingly attractive rental car discounts for the drag racing community worldwide.

And that’s just the start.

At September’s European Finals, Paige was introduced to Melanie Troxel for a newspaper article (“local beginner meets American superstar”). A bond was forged. Then, to cap a perfect weekend, Paige went ahead and won the race, her first Junior Dragster victory.

Seven weeks later, the Wheeler family and a couple of team colleagues arrived in Las Vegas as guests of Melanie and R2B2 Racing’s media manager, Rob Geiger, to attend the NHRA season’s penultimate race. Paige even found herself ensconced alongside NHRA’s biggest stars at the pre-race FanFest, signing autographs for all she was worth.

Paige Wheeler

This March, Paige and Andy travelled to Florida to join Melanie and the R2B2 team at NHRA’s Gatornationals. And to their surprise and delight, “join” turned out to be a literal term when R2B2 owner Roger Burgess invited them to become team members and fly the R2B2 flag across the Atlantic. Now Melanie Troxel, Raymond Commisso, Brad Personett and Burgess himself can genuinely claim to be teammates of Paige Wheeler.

Will 2011 continue to be as momentous? A new, more powerful Junior Dragster awaits as Paige turns 13 and moves into the older age category, and plans are in train to buy another car in America for her to race there. And sister Belle has her eyes on the driving seat Paige has just vacated.

The moral of this story is: be careful when you take your kids out for the day. You never know what might come of it.

Paige with her R2B2 team mates Melanie Troxel and Bob Frey. Troxel pilots in both Funny Car and Pro Mod 2011 

Text by Robin Jackson based on an interview with the Wheeler family - don´t miss the R2B2 press relase about Paige below! 

Paige in action at Santa Pod Raceway Championship venue which is also Paige´s home track

BELOW FOLLOWS THE OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE ISSUED BY THE R2B2 TEAM ON APRIL 11th 2011:

Multi-car team owner Roger Burgess is taking steps to secure the future of his R2B2 drag racing team by signing 12-year-old Junior Dragster sensation Paige Wheeler of Wellingborough, England.

Wheeler first came to prominence in her inaugural race last year, the Easter Thunderball at Santa Pod Raceway in England, where she raced her Alamo Rent-A-Car dragster to a semifinal finish. A few months later, Wheeler met and befriended R2B2 pro Melanie Troxel, who was racing in the FIA European Finals at Santa Pod. With Troxel's signature on the top of her racecar, Wheeler went on to win that event, and celebrated the occasion by accepting Troxel's invitation to attend the NHRA National event in Las Vegas in late October. 

It was there that Wheeler was introduced to Burgess, who offered her a chance to join his six-car team in time for her to compete in this year's United Kingdom Championship Series.

"This is a fantastic opportunity," Wheeler said. "I keep pinching myself. Melanie has been my idol since I first discovered drag racing and it was such a thrill just to meet her. To think that I'm teammates with her now is hard to believe. I'm absolutely over the moon at the moment.

"I will do my very best to represent R2B2 Racing in the U.K. and Europe. Mr. Burgess puts forth the utmost in everything he does and I want to show off his team at a top level. The R2B2 motto is 'Uno Alla Volta' -- One at a Time -- and that's how we plan to race the season."

Wheeler will carry R2B2 branding on her Alamo dragster beginning immediately. She plans to race all events in the United Kingdom Championship Series as well as the NHRA Junior Drag Racing League Eastern Conference Finals, which are scheduled for July 28-30 at Bristol Dragway in Bristol, Tenn. She also may enter any other races she can manage to attend while in the United States, pending her school schedule. Additionally, Wheeler will represent R2B2 Racing at numerous car shows and exhibits.

"We welcome Paige and her parents Andy and Dionne to our family," Burgess said. "She's such a delightful young lady and I'm extremely confident she'll be a championship drag racer and a wonderful spokesperson for our team, both in Europe and here in the United States when her schedule allows.

"She reminds me a lot of Melanie in that she has a quiet intensity about her, and as we all saw at Santa Pod, she knows how to win.

She's definitely R2B2 material."

When not in her dragster, Wheeler can be found cheerleading at her local club and majorette troupe. She'll soon be joined on the strip by younger sister Belle.

Text by Robin Jackson based on an interview with the Wheeler family
Official Press relase published by Geiger Media / Team R2B2

Photos provided by team Wheeler

This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #3/2011
www.speedgroup.eu

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
All material, text, images and logtypes are the property of Speedgroup AB.
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2011