Meet the editor - part 2 Remco Scheelings

In the forthcoming editions of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletters we will introduce the editors and photographers that contributes with material, knowledge and skills to make the the online newsletters to what they are.
Meet photographer and editor REMCO SCHEELINGS who is based in the Netherlands Remco is an allround journalist who can write and capture pretty much anything connected with dragracing and other motorsports in writing or on camera. Make sure to enjoy Remco´s feature articles, class reports and not least the stunning photos in the Speedgroup Club Europe throughout the year!

Editor background:
REMCO SCHEELINGS

Home Base: Haarlem, The Netherlands

How did you first get involved in drag racing and when was that?

Haarlem is only 20 kilometres away from the racetrack at Zandvoort. When I was 13 years old I saw my first race at Zandvoort and hardly missed a race since then. In the mid ‘80 there was a Dragster Festival at Zandvoort. I was so impressed I wanted to see more and went to Santa Pod for the first time. I started as a spectator and within a few years I was standing close to the guardrail as a photographer and reporter.

Any Milestones since then?

Too many. First of all, 2002 when a dream came true and what started as a hobby turned professional and I could start as a freelance (race)reporter and photographer. The first 4-seconds Top Fuel run in Europe at Hockenheim, Kent Persson driving the Peter Lantz car. I think I was the only photographer at the track that moment and I had shots of the run, the crew going crazy and the scoreboard. The trip to Las Vegas to cover Lex Joon making his NHRA Top Fuel debut. But there are so many other highlights. To help with the Speedgroup newsletter is also one of them. Speedgroup does a great job to bring drag racing to the next level.

What do you like most about drag racing?

The people involved, it’s one big family, and the open character of the sport. That’s so different from the other forms of motorsport I cover. And of course the power and sound of the cars and bikes. Nothing can beat the feeling and sound of two Top Fuelers leaving the start line.

What races will you cover in 2011?

In drag racing The Main Event, The Finals, Tierp, Hockenheim and the three Drachten events for the Dutch Championship. And in circuit racing at least five race meetings at Zandvoort, two at Assen and Zolder (Belgium) and maybe a race event at the Nürburgring and Spa-Francorchamps.

Medias and teams you work with in drag racing beside Speedgroup?

Magazines:
START Autosportmagazine, KR8

Organisations: Speedgroup, eXplosion, Auto Moto Show (promoter Drachten events)

Teams: 
Photos for too many teams to mention. And I write press releases for almost all Dutch FIA-teams. Text and pictures for all Pro Dutch Racing (Robert Joosten) activities on and off track. And reports for the MPM Oil-website about all their motorsport activities.

For Fast Company, the company that runs the autosport.nl website, I write race reports and press releases for the race teams and race classes they have a contract with.

Last but not least I make reports (photo and text) about tuned street cars for the magazine Auto&Tuning

interview by Åsa Kinnemar / text Remco Scheelings  
Photo by Speedgroup
This article is part of the Speedgroup Club Europe Newsletter #3/2011

Published by Speedgroup www.speedgroup.eu
Any use of the above requires permission from Speedgroup.
e-mail: asa.kinnemar@speedgroup.eu
© Speedgroup 2011